(Portland)Lessons Learned the hard way

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Dec 13, 2017.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Well, despite feeling strangely stressed I swept my pool and first DE's to get to the round of 8. My first bout there was with Blakley, a leftie out of Texas. Twice he got handily up on me and I had to work hard to catch up. Till it was 9:9 with 4 seconds remaining. Note that I had not kept track of the time and was not registering that it was attacks at distance that were working for me. Both major errors but easy to do in the heat of a fight. Then I got too close and he attacked to score a final touch. Now my last and fatal mistake. I accepted that I had screwed up, Obviously. So I disconnected and after signing, wandered off to deal with the defeat.

Now to add salt to my mental state, the next morning I went to warm up with the same weapon. It was TOTALLY DEAD and obviously had been the night before. Just a little late to register a protest and request a weapon check. So things to add to the check list of preparations in a bout:
    1. Always look at the the time between encounters.
    2. Try to keep track of what's working.
    3. Always do a continuity test and a shim test after a bout. Even if it's your last bout. And if you just lost ask the referee to do the continuity check.

Otherwise Portland was a nice place, what little I got to see of it. They must love hamburgers as that seemed to be the majority of eateries near to the venue. Locals explained to me that there were two types of weather there this time of year: 1) warm, overcast and rainy or 2.) Clear, Cold and Windy. We encountered the latter and Saturday was frankly too miserable to walk around much. But there was a major mall with an upscale food court 3 blocks away that was interesting if you are into expensive shops and lots of children getting hyper-active waiting for Christmas. And the MAX transit system was an excellent means of transportation. Don't know where they were all going but despite the cold weather over the weekend there seemed to be crowds of folks on the streets.

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Heh, no, I probably don't need to do any continuity or shim tests... ;)

Agree about the MAX. Although my coach claims that there were a lot of crazy people on when he rode it.

3. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Yes and no. Watching the area close to the tracks on the way in and out, I noticed a number of encampments. And apparently they use the MAX to get downtown as well. Having been corrected I no longer refer to them as homeless but rather "street people". But the same general air as the people who've taken over the entry ramps around the Bay Area.

4. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Re 1.: If you're down and it's close to time expiration - look while you're fencing. Otherwise count remaining time in your head. Re 3. for foil: Use ref's weight after every pool bout. It'll save you a Yellow Card. Re 3. for epee: Check floor cord reel connection before unhooking. At a NAC, I followed a losing epeeist back to the reel but he unhooked before I noticed his disconnected reel. Too late.

5. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Many of us locals refer to them using the classic terminology: "bums".

6. downunder

downunder is a Verified Fencing Expertdownunder Podium

Referees should not let fencers use the weights after matches.

7. Mac A. Bee

?o_O

8. mfp

mfp Podium

There should be a provision in the rules to card fencers who do this. For delaying other people's bouts among other things. The card should carry over to the offender's next bout.

9. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Uh, if given permission to use the weight while the Ref is busy with another bout, what's the issue?

10. tbryan

tbryan Podium

I've never seen/heard that. Have you been given guidance on that? Or is this a question of personal preference of the referee? Is it a question of time/delays? Or is there some other concern?

One of the things that I noticed when I fenced in my first Div I epee event (years ago) was that pretty much every fencer in my pool tested his weapon at the end of each bout before unplugging. That is, return to guard lines, salute, walk forward, shake hands, turn to the table, and retest the weapon with the ref's weights and shims. By that time, the fencers for the next bout had just gathered their gear and were walking up to take the real cord as the previous fencers disconnected. Seemed pretty fast and efficient to me.

Mac A. Bee likes this.
  11. mfp

mfp Podium

People (like the OP) who habitually use the ref's weights and shims after a bout tend to do so while still hooked up. If they're testing, they're still hooked up, they're delaying their unhooking and the next fencer's hooking up, and delaying the ref's testing of the next two fencers. It's bad enough when you have one fencer in the pool with the habit - when you have more than one it can be really annoying. Shudder to think if everyone adopted the practice.

If you want to test with weights and shims after every bout, fine, just get off the damn reel and do it with your own weight, shims and buzz box. Leave the strip's weights and shims in the control of the referee. If you're worried about variation in tolerances between weights or shims, add a few coins to your weight or talk to an armorer about appropriate shims.

12. Mac A. Bee

You've *got* to be kidding. I'm known as a strict enforcer and yet enable testing. It's seldom that on-deck fencers are, sadly, immediately ready to hook-up.

13. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

NO! I want to use the referee's shims (i never test weights) to check that the weapon is still working properly
    according to this referee before the next bout. Don't know why MFP has a hair up about that. But it is a practice
    that I found many smarter fencers to follow. It certainly does not slow the match appreciably. No where near
    as much as a failed weapon. And as long as it's legal (and no one has ever complained about it in the last 20 years) I think it makes a lot of sense.

damianip and Mac A. Bee like this.
  14. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Whether or not the referee allows you to retest your weapon after a bout will vary from referee to referee. To avoid this situation, I have a tester with a extra body cord close by along with a 0.45mm shim and 755gmail weight.

There are too many times that the weight and shims are shared by adjacent strips. If both fencers wants to retest their weapons after each bout, you just waste everybody's time.

15. downunder

It delays the pool. You should not permit them to do it and we get told this at FIE level.

If your fencers are not immediately ready to hook up this reflects on you as much as them. The fencers must be ready. I haven't called a fencers name/number in over 5 years yet my fencers are usually always ready to be tested as soon as I've written the score down. It's one reason why we can get pools of 7 in epee done in less than an hour and a half at world cups when it can take well over 2 hours at local events for all the messing about.

mfp, Peach and Gav like this.
  16. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

An eye opening thread...

17. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I was at an event in NJ years ago where the Ref told the pool that he'll call on-deck once (name and number) when he was writing the score. When the fencing coming off are hooking, they better be there to take the lead or he'll be handing out Yellow cards for Delay of Bout.

Fastest pools I'd ever been at. Was that you?

18. downunder

It couldn't have been me. Calling names/numbers is vastly inefficient - the fencers know where the scoresheet is and even pools of 10-13 year olds can remember when they're on (or which fencer they're after!).

Gav likes this.
  19. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

It took me 15 minutes to make an index card with the bout order for a 7 person and 6 person pool (which is usually what I get at most competitions). I threw it in my bag and carry it with me . It ensures that I know when I'm on deck, and I'm almost always ready to hook up when the previous bout walks back to the end of the strip to unhook.

downunder likes this.
  20. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

Testing your weapons before you get off the piste... That's just inconsiderate. I honestly don't give a stuff how "elite" another fencer is, people are there to fence, the tournament is there to provide that environment, if you want to test get off the piste and do it elsewhere.