PointControl: a new fencing rating system

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by David Ma, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Algorithm agony?:rolleyes:

2. RebelFencer

RebelFencer Podium

Not entirely sure what you're getting at.

3. Mac A. Bee

Problem with the algorithm - not you.:)

4. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

National Rolling Points Standings

B

5. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

For all you pointcontrol.info fans, I just checked (I do that every so often) and the ratings have been updated. After many months.

jdude97 likes this.
  6. Zebra

Zebra Podium

[SOUND EFFECT: STAMPEDE]

Chauffeur likes this.
  7. Privateer

Privateer Podium

The feed seems to have died again. I have 4 events missing since Sept 2017.

Chauffeur likes this.
  8. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

The charts match the "Last Tournament" noted for each fencer now, but I observe that my "Last Tournament" in PointControl is from last June, and my son's is from September. We've each fenced a good number of FRED-able tournaments since then. A (admittedly small) sample of clubmates shows similar lag, with October being the latest "Last Tournament" recorded.

9. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Cue the stampede.
    The feed's back up.

10. Privateer

Privateer Podium

yeah mine is missing 3 tournaments.

my understanding is someone else has taken over the site and hadn't had time to fix it. Seems like it got fixed in some regards. some people have results where I have a gap.

11. Marthinwurer

Marthinwurer Rookie

Hey all,

I'm the current maintainer of pointcontrol.info. I took it over from David, set up an auto-update script, and tested it, and it worked. Then I modified the script, thought everything would be fine because it was just a small change, and uploaded it without testing, and then promptly forgot about it, trusting my handiwork and got distracted with other projects. I figured out a few weeks ago that it had stopped working, but I had to put it on the back burner due to moving and college. I got around to updating it a few days ago, but it dropped tournaments between 10/12 and 12/16, and I need to figure out what caused that and fix it. Don't hold your breath on that: my next bit of free time is Friday evening at the earliest. If there are missing tournaments outside that range please let me know so I can look into that too.

Privateer likes this.
  12. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Maybe in exchange for a beer or two, you could arrange for some of those tournaments to be permanently lost??? [grin]

13. Marthinwurer

Marthinwurer Rookie

Haha, unfortunately for you I just found the missing ones last night. Hopefully I can get it to auto-update again over the weekend.

Privateer likes this.
  14. Mac A. Bee

Good life's lesson.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  15. Alshain

Alshain Rookie

Any news on the website? Auto-update doesn't seem to be working.

16. WorldsOKestFencer

WorldsOKestFencer Rookie

Are you keeping the github repo current? I was interested in figuring out how the "Ratings by event" function works.

I think the ratings are tremendously helpful with unrated fencers in the youth categories. It helps to manage expectations and set realistic goals.

It would be nice to get IDs from askfred for future events. The name parsing sometimes returns too many incorrect matches. With the youth categories at least there is the birth year as a hint.

Thanks for maintaining the site.

17. Marthinwurer

Marthinwurer Rookie

Hey all, I finally found some free time and got everything working again. Automatic updating should (hopefully) work now, and the favicon isn't broken anymore. I'll double check if the auto-updating worked tomorrow night, but I'm pretty sure about it this time. I'll have a lot more free time now that I've graduated, so feel free to make suggestions for the site.

My fork of the github repo is what's on the server right now. I haven't looked too deeply at that part yet, but I'm pretty sure that it just scrapes the askfred page for the event and extracts the names of the registered fencers and looks those up. I think there's some kind of limitation with the askfred API for those. I can look into that.

18. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

So... just as a question, what is your plan with Point Control when all of the qualifying-type tournaments (RYC, SYC, ROC, RJCC-which makes up the majority of the larger events) are forced to move off of AskFred to USA Fencing's website starting in August?

19. Marthinwurer

Marthinwurer Rookie

One of the things that I originally wanted to do when taking over PointControl was to be able to take in national level events as well. I'd need to write code to digest the Fencing Time live standing pages or however they end up publishing those results. I'll probably need to reorganize the database to do that due to how it's structured, as well as learn HTML scraping. It'll be a good learning experience, though.

In other news, it looks like the auto-update works.

20. dberke

dberke Podium

HTML scraping is often against a site's Terms of Use. Be sure to check that before you undertake your project...

Dan