PIL or no?

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by Alex Aj Jones, Nov 20, 2015.

1. keropie

keropie Podium

A - Reread what I wrote; *you* can move with a line (meaning retreating, advancing, lunging, etc.).

B - There's nothing supported in the rules that say you can't 'derobe' against a non search. If someone is literally in the process of an attack, and you derobe (clearly against a non-search, or your opponent wouldn't be attacking yet), then yes, your original line is removed and the new 'line' does not pre-exist the attack. You don't 'lose the line' because you're searching (you're not), you lose the line because you took it down. As long as the line (as interpreted by the ref) pre-exists the attack (as interpreted by the ref), it can score.

That being said, if you derobe against nothing, re-establish your line (at the end of the derobement), and then your opponent begins his/her attack, you have a line again. But that'll be a bang bang call by the ref.

Inquartata likes this.
  2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Mmm...I see plenty of people with line wiggling the point around without any attempt by the attacker to find the blade. Have even done it myself. A ref who is comfortable with the action will still call it PiL.

It didn't use to be that way. You used to have to keep it still and straight unless the attacker tried to take it, then you could derobe. As with so many fencing actions of the past, the "referee consensus" appears to have changed.

And the "your point went off of the target" thing just seems like a way for refs to not call line, as lateral motion from the ref's vantage point is hard to see and judge, as witness the many times I have been told that I searched for my opponent's blade when I certainly did not. Or been told that an opponent did not search for my blade when he did. "It was just a line change". Bah.

Don't even get me started on the "Mormando PiL".

3. keropie

keropie Podium

From what I understand, in saber currently 'wiggling' is generally allowed. In foil, not as much. But I do agree that it's just whatever the ref interprets as still 'in line.'

InFerrumVeritas and erooMynohtnA like this.