Pending Professional Membership: can compete?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by HalfBlue, Jun 17, 2017.

1. HalfBlue

HalfBlue Rookie

We have a sanctioned competition coming up and one of the competitors is listed in the USFA membership db as "Professional (Pending)" which I think means they've paid but haven't completed their SafeSport and/or their background check. Can this person still compete? As I understand it, they've provided what the USFA needs for a competitive membership (money & a completed form) but have not yet finished up the thing that makes a professional membership different from a competitive one.

2. OrangeandStripey

OrangeandStripey Made the Cut

what is a professional membership?

3. RebelFencer

RebelFencer Podium

Yes, they should still be able to compete. I believe pending means that they've paid (so their membership is current), but don't have their safesport certifications completed yet.

How about you just google US Fencing Professional Membership?

4. OrangeandStripey

or someone who is actually a fencer could just tell me, and maybe give me some insight. no reason to be snippy. i thought it might have to do with people getting paid to fence.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  5. RebelFencer

RebelFencer Podium

It wasn't snippy. Someone posted a valid question and instead of taking the 1-2 minutes to look up your own very general question you essentially tasked the message board to supply the answer to you. In the time between that question popping into your head and the time you responded to my post you could have already had your answer and been on your way.

erooMynohtnA likes this.
  6. OrangeandStripey

now you are being snippy and no the website is still kinda vague. i was hoping someone would give me a more nuanced, insightful answer... but all i get is you.

Did your wife piss in your cheerios? geez...

7. ShortFoot

ShortFoot Made the Cut

On the one hand, my reaction to RebelFencer's comment was that it was a little snippy. Just my subjective reaction, not saying anything about the intent or whether it "was" objectively snippy.

On the other hand, when I followed his advice I quickly found this page, which seems as definitive an answer as one could ask for:

http://www.usfencing.org/page/show/698114-membership

On the third hand, one might by Googling instead end up at a different page, which is less detailed (yes, sorta vague) and has a slightly different list of categories:

https://member.usfencing.org/membership-types

Maybe that's the one OrangeStripey found. Why two competing pages? Dunno.

8. OrangeandStripey

i saw the: "professional members, including coaches", page.

my question is basically this... who else besides coaches get a pro membership. being a google+ beta tester its not like im unfamiliar to google. but the map isnt always the territory so i was looking for something indepth and definitive. what i got was rebelfencer which wasnt helpful.

9. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

The old breakdown was simple-

Non-competitive, which means exactly that: membership "benefits" but cannot compete.

Competitive, which has all the benefits of the previous level plus you can compete in sanctioned events.

Professional, which has all the benefits of the previous level plus you are certified by Safe Sport so you can serve in other capacities (volunteer, coach, board member, etc).

Now there are new categories, like Pro, that I have to look into (I have had a professional membership for the last few years to cover all contingencies).

10. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Who gets a professional membership? Coaches, division officers sometimes, people heavily involved in the running of events, board members (NO and the boards of non-profits that run fencing clubs), that sort of stuff. I'm sure I've forgotten a couple :)

11. OrangeandStripey

thats a much more helpful answer thank you. originally i had thought things had changed regarding fencers being paid and after looking at the page i was just confused in a different way.

given the various clearances i have safesport shouldnt be a problem and maybe someday i might get into coaching as a hobby. not anytime soon but someday.

12. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Safe Sport isn't exactly rigorous :). Entertaining training video though, kind of like online traffic school.

If I were in charge, I would require all fencers over the age of 10 or 12 to watch a version of it, especially the part about grooming, since they are the ones who need to recognize the signs.

HalfBlue and jkormann like this.
  13. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Refs and armourers.:rolleyes:

ReadyFence likes this.
  14. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

I agree it is complicated and USA Fencing does not make it easy. For example, I have a non-competitive membership, but every other year I get a Pro+. That is because I am an Armorer, and I run the division tournaments. Basically the only difference between a Professional and competitive is the safe sport and limited liability insurance. For those like me who don't compete, it is stupid to get Professional. The likelyhood of ever needing the insurance and actually getting something is close to nil. But, if you do compete and you do other things that require safe sport, then if you don't do multi-year then alternate Professional & Competitive every other year. It is the same cost as doing Competitive and adding Pro+ every other year, plus you get the insurance.

So Professional (Pending) is Competitive, who is filling everything out for safe sport.

15. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Don't forget the background check. That's the part that takes time and adds to the cost.

16. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I don't know if getting Pro every other year still covers you for the full SafeSport. Yes, that's when they do the background check and such. But can you claim to be SafeSport on your off-year?

17. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

I recall a discussion that starting August, we'd pay $20 annually vs. $35 bi-annually, but can't find the references now. The US Fencing site still reflects the every-other-year renewal - including a FAQ. The "limited" insurance is secondary to your umbrella insurance, so effectively worthless.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  18. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Some roles require being a professional member, others require having a current background screen. The former case requires professional (or +pro) every year, while the latter only requires alternate years.

B

19. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

What are those roles? I know Armorer, for one doesn't require Professional every year?

20. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Coach does (?)