Path of Bodycord

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by posineg, Mar 16, 2019.

1. posineg

posineg DE Bracket

Is there any rule that prohibits the body cord from being wrapped around the back of the fencers hand before being plugged into a weapon?

I know this sound basic but with my limited understanding and a rudimentary search, I was not able to find anything concrete. Nor was I able to find anything relating to a safety issue or snag issue.

2. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

It's hard to prove that something isn't illegal unless its explicitly stated as legal. I don't believe there's comment on this issue. With that said, I know of numerous fencers who do as you describe in tournaments without any issue.

3. tbryan

tbryan Podium

Is that something you do? If so, did you recently fence noahz? ;)

Agree with jdude97. I'm not aware of any rule specifically for or against it. I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time unless you actually build your weapons with the socket positioned at the back of the hand, which some epeeists do.

4. Privateer

Privateer Podium

could be prohibited as a catching hazard.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Not if it's inside the jacket or lame.

I see people running cords over their shoulder. So long as it's under the jacket, there is no issue.

6. posineg

posineg DE Bracket

To be more precise in explaining. The fencer was having connection issues with the blade and 2 prong. The fencer found that wrapping the cord around the back of the glove starting at the bottom (pinky) going up the outside wrist to the top and connecting back into the weapon at the thumb area. I protested that this could instill a catch hazard. I could not find any rule backing me up.

Being foil, there is less chance of hitting the body cord and causing a break but it could happen. Is there a rule that states you have to run the wire on the inside of anything?

7. Zebra

Zebra Podium

The catch-all rationale for rejecting something that doesn't look right.

Privateer likes this.
  8. posineg

posineg DE Bracket

Is there a safety rule that outlines "Catch Hazard"? I found one about the bell guard and patches but nothing else.

What one person thinks might be common sense, the other person defines as aguementative.

9. tbryan

tbryan Podium

As I said in the other thread, I generally refer to M.25.2 even though that rule is in the section on clothing. I think that it's a decent catch-all for these kinds of concerns.

Safety
    2. It must not be possible for the opponent to be obstructed or injured by the equipment, nor for the opponent’s weapon to be caught up in or deflected by the equipment which, in consequence, must have neither buckles nor openings in which the opponent’s point may be caught up—except accidentally—and thus held or deflected.​

Then again, especially in foil, I'm not too concerned about a body cord that's wrapped securely around the back of the hand without a lot of extra slack. I normally only see it done in the exact case that you mentioned where the body cord presumably has some intermittent break or bad connection. In that case, wrapping the cord around the glove sometimes prevents the spurious off targets and saves us the time of switching body cords mid bout. No one (should be) aiming for the hand in foil, and I'm not convinced that the body cord presents much more of a catch hazard than the cuff of the glove itself.

As in the other thread, if you're the referee, and you don't feel that it's safe, ask the fencers to unwrap it or whatever. I can't imagine why a fencer would refuse to adjust the body cord if you ask. If you're the opponent on strip, you can point it out, and if the referee says, "It's fine," then don't worry about it.

10. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Sounds like a break in the cord right at the housing....a common issue.

11. Privateer

Privateer Podium

wasn't the example provided talking about wrapping the body cord around the back of the hand to a palm-side socket?

12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah...I realized that later.