Painting the INSIDE of a mask?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by JimJay, Aug 22, 2018.

1. JimJay

JimJay Rookie

I haven't found any previous posts about this but apologies if I just haven't looked hard enough....

Basically, I was wondering what effect painting the inside of a mask white would have - I'm thinking in terms of whether or not it would increase visibility. I suspect that one might also have to paint the outside, or cover the outside of the mesh with plenty of masking tape.

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

External impact may loosen paint chip headed to your eye.

3. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

Black seems to be the best color... I have never seen a white insect screen on a window.
    If you ever have to paint a mask, be careful to use a high quality low odor paint and prep the surface to make sure chips won’t fly off.
    I like to wipe the mask down with lacquer thinner and a wire brush. Then I use a high quality low VOC paint like Krylon Fusion.
    Sometimes, when I paint a design on the outside of a mask, some of the paint migrates around the mesh and can be seen from inside so I have to respray the inside.

4. JimJay

JimJay Rookie

I have a sneaking suspicion that black fly-screens might have more to do with the dirt factor than visibility! ;)

I've tried holding some white mesh in front of my face and the difference is quite remarkable and luckily(?) I wear glasses, so the odd flake of paint is probably not going to be a problem. It looks as though I'm going to have to try it myself and see how it turns out, provided I can prevent the paint showing on the outside - I'm rather old-fashioned when it comes to painted masks.... :D

5. posineg

posineg Made the Cut

100%, the paint will decrease visibility. Think of the mesh as a screen. You are making the holes a little smaller thus reducing the amount of light that can get into your eye.

6. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Specifically, white paint will reduce visual contrast and will cause your pupil to contract a bit, due to the increased overall brightness, thus darkening your perception of the events outside of the mask that you are trying to see.
    Drive a car with a light-colored dash on a sunny day, for an example of the visual effects of painting the inside of your mask white.
    Flat black works much better.

damianip, Mac A. Bee and Grey Sabreur like this.
  7. damianip

damianip Podium

Quite right. Years ago, my son had one of the Triplette interchangeable liner masks. They had two issues:

1. They were painted white on the inside. Poor visibility
    2. That paint was prone to chipping when the mask was struck and flexed. White fleck on face and in the eye.