Ordering to the USA from LP UK site

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by wwittman, May 3, 2019.

1. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

I’m noticing that the same ‘basket’ of gear from the Leon Paul UK site versus the LP USA site is about $300 USD less via the UK (including the shipping estimate)

Has anyone ordered direct from the ‘wrong’ country site like that?
    Any problems or warnings?

Unless I’m majorly miscalculating the exchange rate, that seems like too much saving to ignore potentially.

2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I've ordered a few times from the UK site without any issues.

3. mfp

mfp Podium

Orders placed on the LP US or the LP UK site both get shipped to US from the same place -- the UK. The all-in price for orders can vary considerably between the two sites. Some people figure that out and take advantage of it. Others don't.

To avoid potential additional costs, it's best to use a credit card that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. (That's true even for orders placed on the "US" site as some have been hit with foreign transaction fees. Even though purchases were denominated in US$, some CC companies have added foreign transaction fees because a UK bank or processor was involved)

If your order totals less than US$800, then your order will likely make it through customs without issue. If your order totals more than US$800, then things can get more complicated. Remember that whichever LP site you use to order, most (all?) orders ship to the US from the UK and past customs.

4. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

good tip about the foreign transaction fees... thanks

this order will probably be over $800 FWIW, but I suppose i could split it up (although that potentially doubles the shipping costs)

it's odd how most items are priced on the US site to about the same as the UK price adjusted for the exchange rate, and other items are wildly more expensive on the US site.
    I don't get the logic, as everything comes from the same place.

5. jkormann

jkormann Podium

This is important to remember. I've had things held up in customs for over a week without any update status.

6. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

I’m not on a tight time table.
    I’m more concerned about additional unforeseen customs charges being levied.

7. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I've ordered from the UK site numerous times and never had additional customs charges. They are pretty good about labeling packages in a way that does not draw that type of attention.
    I also placed a large order with Negrini years ago and they labeled it as "Clothing" which resulted in about $200 worth of customs charges.

8. neevel

neevel Armorer

I’ve ordered from LP UK a number of times, never had an issue on LP’s end. The one problem I did have was that once my credit card flagged the transaction as suspicious and declined it, so I had to re-do the order after calling my card company.

9. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

Got an email saying an item was no longer backordered.
    So I placed an order for multiple items. But that one item is still showing on their site as backordered, despite the email, and now no sign or communication 2 weeks later.

10. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

And yes. I could email and ask them but I guess i’d prefer some communication.

11. jkormann

jkormann Podium

12. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

I know. And he’s always helpful.
    Although this is an order through the uk site.

But again I COULD chase them down.
    It’s more a statement that I’d rather see them follow up when an order is delayed with some info.

13. mfp

mfp Podium

"The best customer service is if the customer doesn't need to call you, doesn't need to talk to you. It just works."

14. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Call.