No time

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by rsy, Nov 17, 2003.

1. rsy

rsy Rookie

At a well-attended, well-rated competition this past weekend, I was watching a bout. The bout went on for what seemed to be an extraordinary length of time, when the fencer who was ahead asked the referee how much time was remaining. The referee responded, "I am not keeping time." What should the fencer do in that circumstance?

I thought that the referee had just forgotten to put a clock on that one bout, but later that day I noticed that he wasn't timing any of the bouts. I mentioned this to the bout committe and one of their members observed him for a few minutes and during a break asked him if he had a stop watch. He said, "Yes." That satisfied the bout committe member who walked away and the referee returned to directing the bouts without timing them. I didn't press it further.

And, yes, the fencer who was in the lead when he asked how much time was remaining did end up losing the bout.

-r

2. Delmont

Delmont Rookie

Now thats not right.

3. damianip

damianip Podium

Tournament this weekend? I see that you're from NJ. Was this tourney in NJ?

Which one? I was directing this weekend, and we were working with some novice refs.

I hope this didn't happen on my watch.

Paolo

Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Which weapon? If it was sabre I understand completely. I can count the number of times I have seen a ref time a sabre bout
    ( or need to ) on one hand...

5. Peach

Peach Podium

They laughed at me at my first NAC refereeing job when I asked for a stopwatch for sabre. I *do* need to time the 8-touch break, but a watch with a second-hand does fine.

6. rsy

rsy Rookie

Paolo- Not to worry, the competition was not in NJ.

-r