Nickel and Diming from USA Fencing

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Jul 5, 2018.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Any insight to why the NO is nickeling and diming us? Are our revenues down and we need more? I'm referring to the latest membership charges. Ok, $75 for membership, but $10. if you want a plastic version of the membership card (useful for checkin's). or $20 for what is referred to as "CheckED" (For any referee, bout committee, armorer, volunteer or Board of Director at a non-profit club who interacts with club membership). Is the NO going just way too far in their search for revenue streams? I've got to pay to volunteer my time and energies to support the sport?

2. Redblade

Redblade DE Bracket

"Nickel and diming" is just as often a matter of cutting costs as it is increasing revenue. Everything has a price.

3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Your number doesn't change year-to-year. Print it and laminate it. Or spend the $10 once and be done with it. I think the $10 comes with a keytag and a large luggage-sized.
    I view that as passing on the costs. Check if your club will reimburse this fee. USFencing doesn't require you to be a Ref, BC, Armorer, etc.

4. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Which in the recent past we got as part of the renewal fee. Cost to produce I suspect is in the pennies certainly less than $1. with mailing. I've got several which I can keep.
    So in your opinion I should pony up an additional $20. just in case I'm needed to fill in. Well there's one more reason to decline to volunteer.

Nah, this is petty. IF there is an associated cost then make it a part of the price. Rather like selling a hot dog and then charging for mustard and catchup. ;)

5. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I'm not sure what it costs to individually print out the plastic membership cards. If you need to reduce your costs in a business operation, you try and eliminate as much unnecessary costs. I believe individual plastic membership cards fall in that category. It's something nice, but not necessary.

If you want something more durable than a paper copy of your membership card, then get it laminated at your local Fedex or UPS copy center. The last time I had a membership card size laminated, it cost me $1.50.

Better yet, use some software and download a copy of your membership card to your smartphone.

6. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Postage may be as much as the card costs.

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

And so the NO came to be haunted by the unspoken phrase: There must be more money! There must be more money! The staffers could hear it all the time though nobody said it aloud. They heard it at Nationals, when the expensive and splendid equipment filled the venue. Behind the shining modern strips, behind the smart podium, a voice would start whispering: "There must be more money! There must be more money!" And the officers and staffers would stop working, to listen for a moment. They would look into each other's eyes, to see if they had all heard. And each one saw in the eyes of the others that they too had heard. "There must be more money! There must be more money!"

VorpalCat likes this.
  8. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I still hate the $5 processing fee. You charge a registration fee. You charge an event fee. Then you charge me to pay for the event. It's absurd.

9. mfp

mfp Podium

You're really going to hate next season's USA Fencing resort and fencing bag fees.

10. Privateer

Privateer Podium

doesn't that pay for the background check?

11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I actually did LOL. :)

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  12. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

So here's the thing:

You should only need one background check. After that, it's not background. But fine, okay. Whatever. At least you no longer have to pay the premium every year, when a background check lasts for two.

13. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Given what I pay every two years for my USA Hockey background check (which is not rolled into my ref registration fee), they may be dividing the expense across both years.

14. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

THread Drift: But given what little I've been able to learn about these not so transparent organizations they are rather like TSA. My understanding is that they do not have a basis in actual law but are solutions to problems implemented as CYA. Bruce Schneier who has a Security bulletin "CRYPTO-GRAM" where he comments on securities issues, has referred to the TSA as Security Theater, i.e. it doesn't really protect anyone. It's purpose is to make the general populace feel safer. The actual prevention is done by law enforcement and security agencies like the FBI/CIA/NSA. There is a claim that there is no documented incident of TSA preventing any terrorist act. Likewise these background checks. Is anyone aware of their actually preventing any known harm, i.e. preventing a pedophile from joining our organization? To me they appear to be an effort by the USOC to escape responsibility by delegating to someone else.

15. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

How do we "document" a negative? If a potential bomber decides that he cannot get his bomb past the metal detector and shifts to some other target, how do you ever know that happened? We cannot know whether the TSA checkpoints, bag searches, explosive sniffers and so on were effective in preventing something or not. Thus we can neither say that they stopped any terrorist attack nor that they didn't.

This is true of a lot of speculative preventive measures. Can we KNOW that licensing drivers prevents car accidents, for instance? It's impossible to demonstrate that such and such harm would have occurred---or not---in the absence of many particular measures which someone decided were needful and got instituted.

jdude97 likes this.
  16. Peach

Peach Podium

As a teacher, I have to go through the same kind of background check (and even the college student teachers I supervise have to provide four types of clearance). You cannot know the checks are preventing harm (how do you know someone has decided not to become a teacher or ref because of it?) but the alternative (trust everyone, check no one) strikes me as naive.

17. Zebra

Zebra Podium

And it's known that abusers will move from one club to another, one field to another after they've been caught.

Peach likes this.
  18. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

You can take a screen shot of your membership card barcode and use your phone to check in. The plastic cards were nice, but really, in today's world, they're mostly unnecessary. While I liked them, I agreed that it was a smart cost-saving measure on their part. There was absolutely no reason to get a new one of those every year.
    As for the +CheckED fee...that's actually cheaper than what had been required for the first several years. Prior to it being a simple $20 upgrade to whatever current level you wanted, it had been required for everyone to be a Coach membership. Now you don't have to be a coach...so if you're competing, it's $95 if you also ref. If you're not competitive, then it's $35-45. That's actually a small win for a change. And these charges have been in effect for, what... 3-4 years now? Why rock the boat at THIS point?

Privateer likes this.
  19. Privateer

Privateer Podium

Running the process again checks for anything that has happened unnoticed since the last check. I'm not sure if you're just balking at the label of the process.

20. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Good try Inq, But having a driver's license is proof you've been tested and provided minimal background of where you live and where you can be located and in some states proof that you have insurance, i.e. the insurance companies can let the state know if you discontinue the policy. So licensing isn't a "speculative preventive measure" but proof you've passed a driving test, can be located and are financially responsible.
    What does our background check provide? They (whoever they is) have run your name -spelled however you present it - through a data base of people who have been convicted/accused/suspected of being a pedophile or other abuser doing a comparison based on spelling and possibly your provided address. I can see soooo many holes in this scheme. Sorry gotta run. Perhaps we can revisit this issue.