Nice foil touch with a point-in-line (video)

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by tbryan, Jun 29, 2018.

1. tbryan

tbryan Podium

Since PIL is a frequent topic on the forums, I thought that I'd share this clip from the Pan Am's men's foil gold medal bout where Imboden scores with with point-in-line:

(I'm attempting to share the link with the volume muted in case you're watching at work. Unmute for the full Race Imboden experience. ;))

jkormann likes this.
  2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

What's "Something I cannot do if I tried" for $500.

That was pretty.

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

VERY nice...of course, his coach is Sergei Golubitsky, who was a master of the technique.

4. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

HA! I have seen this tried a hundred times, and the marching fencer is ALWAYS given the stupid ROW. Either the FotR was penalized for searching around the blade or that ref disagrees with every high level ref i get to deal with.

Grey Sabreur likes this.
  5. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

FotR's attack is continuous, so we can only guess that the ref believes Race established line out-of-distance. Recommend we move this to the Ref forum.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

It's not so much being out of distance (because Right really was not), but of the ref having time to see the line properly established. Breaking distance is simply an element that gives that time, and also has the benefit of allowing the line to be out before the final attack begins from the other side.

7. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

"The ref having time to see the line properly established" isn't really a thing. But ...

1. The line was established before the attacker's final advance lunge. The rules are ambiguous in this respect: some referees will consider the attack to be in progress no matter how many steps it takes, some will not. More importantly,

2. The attacker tried and failed to take the blade. That cedes right of way to the point in line.

8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

It was when I asked Derek Cotton about it.