Next Season's Head Techs

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by monitorlizerd, Jul 14, 2017.

1. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

Well, Summer Nationals is over, and it's time to start looking for who the head techs will be next season.
    Any ideas??? Inquiring minds and all that.

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I don't think they've had their meeting yet. Doesn't the hire wish list go out to us in August?

Hoping to get Anaheim and Portland this year (and any other one, since I'm always available)

3. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

I'm not even going to ask for Anaheim, everyone and their dog will be applying for that one. I'm looking at Portland, and then we'll see. I can work anything after December...I'm retiring, God willing and the creek don't rise.

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

In addition to the NACs, there are 2 international tournaments that are scheduled to be held in the US. So, keep that in mind.

Like monitorlizard, I'm close to retirement and will be able to work at more tournaments starting in the 2018-2019 season.

5. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Okay, if you're on the NAC armorer's list, you should have received an email this morning with a link to the 2017-2018 Armorer Availability website. All of the NACs and Summer Nationals (2 crews) have head techs assigned to them.

I recommend reading the note at the end of the email. It concerns how you should list your preferences and availability

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yep. Got mine....already submitted.

Also sent a return email to Mergs suggesting US SEMI look at sending a new crop of armorers to FIE events in advance of the 2024 or 28 O-Games in L.A.

That's either 7 or 11 years off (my money's on 2028), and by then we could have more people qualified to work FIE events...especially as the older armorers retire.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  7. brtech

brtech Podium

We have a fairly well developed process to bring armorers along. While getting experience as a team armorer attending an FIE event does inform you about processes, so does working an FIE event held domestically. We are going to expand the number of armorers qualified to work an FIE sanctioned event, because we anticipate expanding the number of such events, hopefully including some World Championships prior to LA24/28. If you are interested, you should request one of the international events on the form. As always, we have a limited number of slots, and most of them are going to be already-qualified FIE event armorers. But we try to make sure we expand the pool. Getting to be a team armorer is a different path, and much more selective.

8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Already indicated for the 2 FIE events. The reason I made the suggestion was due to Ted wanting more FIE-experienced armorers at Long Beach, even though I was close by and available...with only pentathlons under my best internationally, I wasn't surprized I didn't get called up.

Wasn't sure if you'd had something in the works...better to suggest it and be behind the curve than not and find you should have.

9. dcchew

dcchew Podium

This to add on to brtech's posting. If you would like to volunteer for one of the NACs or upcoming US FIE tournaments, you can contact the SEMI committee at [email protected].

Now, a volunteer is just that. Don't expect any honorarium, reimbursement, etc. You are responsible for all of your expenses. Don't expect to just show up for a couple of hours learning to do equipment inspection and walking around whenever you want. In addition to the equipment inspection, you are there to help with all aspects of getting a venue setup and ready for 3 to 4 days of fencing. You should expect long hours learning how to lay pistes down properly, set up equipment, tear down, etc.

As for inspection equipment, most of the more experienced armorers can loan you some spare equipment setup if you don't already own something.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  10. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

I still haven't received mine. Could you check?

11. dcchew

dcchew Podium

DHCJr, I'd suggest that you email the US SEMI and inquire if you're on the current list of armorers. You can use the address I provided in a previous posting.

12. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

I emailed them as suggested. It does seem strange as I am certainly qualified and I sent one in last season. I never got a response or acknowledgement that it was received. This is one thing they should improve on is communication.

I wonder if anyone dropped through the cracks.

13. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

Last Sunday, I did as you suggested and no response. I have again sent a request today, but I don't expect any response. For the last dozen years communications has not been good, in fact it has been terrible. We get more information here and of course, none of this is official.

I could ask someone to send the form to me, but what good would that do, if I sent it in and it is ignored. Sam says, that Ted wanted more experienced FIE Armorers. Considering I probably have more FIE experience than anyone else on this board and I live in Long Beach, I have a feeling, the request never got to Ted. dcchew or anyone else, can you contact them and request they forward me a Availability Form.

14. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Donald, for some reason, you are not on the current NAC armorer's list. I don't know why. Since I'm not one of the Head Techs, I don't feel it's right to to send you the link to availability form since you weren't on the original distribution list.

If you can't get a response from the US SEMI, I can't help you on that either. My guess is that Ron Herman and Ted Li are in Leipzig at the World Championships.

15. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

I sent a third request. I wonder what the reason is now!