Next President of the United States

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by OROD, Jun 7, 2016.

1. OROD

OROD Podium

I want to be the first to congratulate the first female President of the United States.

LTM likes this.
  2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Are you saying that Trump is transgender?

RobotSpine and migopod like this.
  3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Elizabeth Warren is finally running?

RobotSpine likes this.
  4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Carter was the first female POTUS.

5. neevel

neevel Armorer

This could be the year that the Cthulhu campaign finally makes inroads with it's platform of not settling for the lesser evil.

LTM, erik_blank, Gav and 1 other person like this.
  6. migopod

migopod Podium

I'm actually not that sure Cthulhu would actually be the greater evil in this race though.

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh The Donald R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Gav likes this.
  7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

[​IMG]

Gav and migopod like this.
  8. migopod

migopod Podium

Finally. A candidate we can all get in front of.

erik_blank and Gav like this.
  9. neevel

neevel Armorer

I will admit that I generally only listen to The Donald in short snippets, out of fear of failing a sanity check. (Mind you, The Donald is doing a good job of channeling some of H.P. Lovecraft's less palatable racial attitudes).

10. migopod

migopod Podium

I also get the sense that Hillary Clinton spends a lot of time in Innsmouth. An anonymous source close to the former Secretary of State is quoted as mentioning that her gills are coming in quite nicely.

11. EldRick

EldRick Podium

12. neevel

neevel Armorer

On top of the costs, I've noticed that a lot of Hillary's sartorial choices seem to have a '60's Bond-villain air to them.

EldRick likes this.
  13. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Does anyone know if she has a cat? White and fluffy or perhaps hairless?

14. migopod

migopod Podium

Not currently as far as I know, but once upon a time there was Socks the First Cat.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  15. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I am reliably informed that she just 'tweeted' a 'meme' which was described to me as 'extremely dank'.

I don't know what any of these words actually mean.

16. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

Well "dank" is a great way of describing Innsmouth.

I've just had a look on tripadvisor and the place is desribed as:

" ... cold and damp with unfriendly natives. Limited local facilities and the B&B in which I stayed had an uncomfortable air that gave me strange (but lucid) dreams in which my thoughts turned into strange strings of adverbs that describe worshippers of a cosmic entity terribly indifferent to the existence this plane let alone planet. It also ruined my punctuation. Fog seeped between floorboards, blinds and window frames and although this lent my Instagram pictures a nice look (#nofilter) I suspect it was the source of a strange fishy smell. Food was also unpleasant. Following my stay I had to take some time off work in a local sanitorium while I got over my nihilism and bleak rejection of modern mores.

1 star. Would not go again. "​

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    erik_blank, migopod and Inquartata like this.
  17. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Very droll. :)

Gav likes this.
  18. OROD

OROD Podium

I'm going to cry if Trump gets elected.

What are people's best guesses as to who will be Hillary's VP running mate? Seems to me that getting Bernie on the ballot would be her best option, but I dont see her going that route.

Likewise, any guesses as to who Trump will pick?

19. K O'N

K O'N Podium

The betting markets have opinions:

https://www.predictit.org/market/15...ublican-vice-presidential-nomination#outcomes

That seems to me to overvalue Sessions and undervalue Christie, but what do I know. Gingrich was a lock until he went after Trump, signalling I guess that he didn't want it. This really seems to me to be more about who would take it than who he wants, since such a large number of top Republicans are running away from him so fast.

I think Palin at .01 is undervalued, he likes her and she's not going to overshadow him, which I think is a concern. And it would provide us with some excellent SNL material :)

On the other side:

https://www.predictit.org/market/1530/who-will-win-the-2016-democratic-vice-presidential-nomination

Warren is leading; apparently they could fill her seat pretty quickly, so it would not effectively give up a Senate seat. I'd think she'd rather be in the Senate, but again, what do I know.

Of the rest, I think more of Becerra than anyone listed above him. It would be nice to involve someone who's not pushing 70, he's fluent in Spanish (not everyone on that list with a Hispanic surname is), good public speaker, experienced House member. I think he'd be a great pick.

Bernie is just a non-starter, and I doubt he'd take it.

20. OROD

OROD Podium

Not saying you're wrong, but I wonder why you think that?

For as much acrimony as we've seen in the Democratic Primary, it's really not that bad all things considered. The GOP Primary was much worse. To me it looks like it's mostly the Sanders supporters that have gone off the deep end, not Bernie himself. If he took the nomination he'd be in the position he wants, to influence policy and help set the agenda. With his support base, I just dont see Hillary sidelining him. But then again, maybe she would and he's better off somewhere else. The thing is, though, that he needs Hillary to win. If that happens then he can convert his current power to actual results. If Trump wins, he's out of luck. So, why not support Hillary as much as he can? Why not help her win by getting all his supporters to support her? And, really, half of his supporters wont really buy into Hillary if he just endorses her, but if he's in the ticket they will.

As far as Warren, that just seems like a weird choice to me. For one, she's from a solid Democratic state (so no help there) and it would make for an all-female ticket, which would turn off a certain portion of voters. Balancing it with a male kind of makes sense to me. Also, if it did happen I'd think that Warren's chances of following Hillary into the Presidential office would be reduced after Hillary finishes her term. I think voters at that point might want someone different to Hillary, which might mean a man. Lastly, the VP position isnt really that great. What would she do there? How much power would she have? I think she'd be wasted as VP. In the Supreme Court she would have more impact for longer. Or, in a Cabinet position she would be building up experience that would serve her well in a future Presidential run. In that sense Bernie as VP makes lots of sense to me, because he's too old to run for President next time, opening up the slot for Warren if she wanted to run. And with 4 or 8 years experience in some cabinet post she'd be formidable.

erik_blank likes this.