Newer roll out strips any good?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by MHC, Oct 13, 2018.

1. MHC

MHC Made the Cut

I'm at a national tournament in France. Lots of things are done differently, but I noticed they are exclusively using roll out conductive strips.

The situation was the same at an FIE satellite I attended a few weeks back.

The ones at the satellite were Artois. The ones in France are unmarked.

The difference between these and, e.g., the Absolute ones I've fenced on at some ROCs is dramatic.

These seem to be much more durable. They weren't new at the start (and a few are even fraying at the edges). But after doing a ~370 person epee tournament today, they still look solid.

There wasn't a single hole. None of them lost conductivity. Despite only being taped at the ends, they haven't bunched up. In fact they were completely smooth in the morning and are almost so now.

I actually *tried* finding dead spots on them where they had gotten marked up. It was pretty difficult. I managed to find one, but it was really tiny and not something you could realistically hit. (I could only make it hit 1 time in 3 while standing up and trying to poke it.)

Surprisingly, these aren't slip-n-slides either. They are very "grippy", almost as much as the aluminum ones at Nationals and at least as good as the fixed metal ones at some clubs.

Have any of the armorers here played with these? What did you think?

It seems that they are being used here to avoid having to add a day at either end of the tournament for set up and tear down.

So I don't know how long they actually last. It seems to be more than the ones I'm used to, but that's not really saying much.

2. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Out of curiosity, what type of floor are they laying on? Hardwood? Synthetic laminate? Rubberized Sport Tile? Bare Concrete? My experience with synthetic strips is that the type of floor underneath the strip does makes a difference.

3. MHC

MHC Made the Cut

I think it was rubberized sports tile.