Newer Negrini Body Cord Desig

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by jjefferies, Jun 19, 2017.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

At a recent tournament a friend asked if I would be interested in a broken Negrini body cord. And being a not so secret hoarder, I responded "sure". But when I got it home I found that the electrical connections were solid. But upon opening the connectors up I found that in both ends the wire clamp as seen below was broken. On one end the plastic the screws went into had broken. on the other the bit of clamping plastic had broken. So my question is: are others finding this new design rather fragile. The cord itself appears to be almost brand new, i.e. none of the usual signs of abuse or long usage.

Attached Files:

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yes. One of the little plastic holders in mine broke the first time I opened the clamshell to check the wires and reset the holder. Probably over-enthusiastic tightening of the screw, or to quote Bullwinkle "don't know my own strength".

3. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

The clamping plastic piece is called a wire stop per Negrini.
    It is a PVC retaining piece of plastic, and is in my opinion is way too *soft* for its application and use.
    Negrini wanted a PVC retainer used for a PVC cover on the wire. My suggestion to Negrini was to have a much stiffer piece there in its place. You can see how far my suggestion went with them.
    I can say this about the image you show. This body wire has been taken apart several times. Take a look at the post screw on the "B" line. It is almost stripped out. Knowing that this is a high end body wire, again in my opinion, you should have been able to take it apart 100's of times and not had this problem, only pointing out someone has been working on it.
    Suggestions have been made to Negrini and I have been told that this one piece is on the drawing board to be updated.
    It's not like Negrini to let something like this out. They are way too fussy about details. This one slipped through the cracks.

4. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Also used in Favero's reel's body cord connector.

NKFA likes this.
  5. pinbot

pinbot Made the Cut

But I've never seen a Favero break. [edit--a Favero head I mean, their wires pretty regularly]

Put Favero heads on that Negrini wire and you'll have a top-notch hybrid.

NKFA likes this.
  6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Not the clamp on the inside....the outer casing, yes. Typically the clip side over the B pin.

I've advised Favero about this....they did not seem to believe me until I took pictures for them.

7. dcchew

dcchew Podium

This combination is what I use for my personal body cords. An excellent body cord in my opinion. Not cheap, but very robust. It does require an occasional bit of maintenance like all body cords do.

8. brtech

brtech Podium

The Negrini pins are far superior to the Favero pins. The old Favero pins had the rotating cage that seizes up and the new ones collapse like the germans. The Negrini leaves are much stronger than the Favero/German leaves and take much more abuse before needing to be "spread".

9. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I don't know about that. On mine I had the leaf of one pin ( weapon end ) break off within a month. Replaced with new pin. Same thing happened again after a couple of months. Replaced with new pin. No further problems with weapon end, but about a month ago the leaf of one pin on the reel end has broken off.

10. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

Yesterday, someone brought up a Negrini to be repaired and like what happened to Inquartata the cage for the B-line was completely gone. Only the pin was left. Didn't have a spare for them.

11. piste off

piste off Podium

I went that route a couple of years ago. Thought it was the greatest until I re-visited Leon Paul (hated them when I first started in the 70s).

I'm pretty abusive with my stuff. It gets fenced hard. My kids are just as bad. So with that, I've found the current LPs to be the greatest bodycord out there. Easy to fix and maintain, replacement parts readily available. Loving them.

No corrosion issues (I sweat like a pig and that was an issue with the old Negrinis, hence going to Favero heads). Durable, and their wires don't have the issue that Negrini has with splitting (the three wires coming apart from each other).

K O'N likes this.
  12. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

I have not had the luck with LP bodycords that others have had, but I still like their bayonet the best. I had a Negrini cord I stuck an LP bayonet onto, and I have done literally no maintenance for five years. I have a couple all-LP foil cords as well. They are good, but they are a little less reliable. However, I have an all-LP epee bodycord that has performed almost as reliably as the Negrini hybrid. I am not sure what the difference is.

13. EspadaMK

EspadaMK Made the Cut

The usual problem with LP cords is that a thin layer of oxide builds up between the screw and the wire in the plugs, I had a club one the other day reading 60+ ohms on each of the lines rather the < 1 which it should be. Just loosening and re-tightening the screws a few times and that resistance was back way below 1. Other than that they are great cords and last years.

K O'N likes this.
  14. bobb121

bobb121 DE Bracket

The issue on the Negrini pins with the blades coming off from the pin was a design issue and has been fixed. Fortunately for me, since I got mine from sword masters they were all covered on warranty and replaced.

15. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

Not sure why would anyone bother with any other cord than LP...last forever, undo/re-tighten screws occasionally to reduce resistance and you're good to go.

16. bobb121

bobb121 DE Bracket

I use the Negrini Bayonet and like to have all of my wires soldered or tinned.