New to Fencing

Discussion in 'New to Fencing' started by Agomongo, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Agomongo

Agomongo Rookie

Hi guys so I'm pretty new to fencing. I've joined a fencing club at college. We started on foil and we've done it for perhaps 3 months? Well we worked on the basics footwork, parries, ripostes, etc. Now this past Saturday we went to a competition. I had less than an hour to learn the epee and I did extremely well! Even the coaches were surprised, because I went against other beginners who have done it for months.

I really love epee, however I am terrible at it. I held my own, however I still have some serious work to do. I've been working out my thumb and pointer finger with the varigrip. I've been practicing footwork, lunging, and pretend beat attack for 10 minutes a day (I use a golf putter to be my pretend epee since it's heavy and only grip it with my thumb and pointer finger.) Do you guys have any tips as to how to practice footwork and bladework when I don't have an epee in hand? Or just tips in general? I would really love to get better at epee and I am willing to put in the work, time, and effort to get better.

My coaches said I have a couple of major issues:
    1. I need to know my lunge distance
    2. I need to control the distance better
    3. I need to work on beating the blade then immediately going for the riposte (I hesitate a lot)
    4. I need to aim at the wrist, elbow, and shoulder better
    5. I need to stop pulling my arm back
    6. I need to react faster when the opponent is pushing my blade down by disengaging
    7. I lock up my shoulders instead of relaxing

Mind you I don't have the resources, because I am at college.

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Lunge distance: practice in front of a mirror. Controlling distance: mirror footwork with a partner, alternating lead. Beating blade: tape a wiffle ball-bat to a chair. Beat it with a second bat. Aim: hang a golf ball from the ceiling. Hit it with your extended arm/finger, then at advance-distance, then at lunge-distance, then at advance lunge-distance. Locked shoulders: In front of mirror, extend arms in front or side. Leave them. Watch. Repeat with increasing weights (books, cans, etc.)

3. Agomongo

Agomongo Rookie

Thanks! Do you have anymore tips?

4. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

5. Agomongo

Agomongo Rookie

Excellent thank you so much! If any of you guys have more tips I am open to hearing them! I'll starting working on the one's you said to work one. Thanks guys!

6. Navneet Kaur

Navneet Kaur Rookie

Hello to everybody.I am Navneet Kaur from Sweden.I am new here.I like this community so much.

7. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Gothenberg's foilist Simon Rizell is fencing very well at New Jersey Institute of Technology.

8. mpego1

mpego1 Rookie

Welcome Navneet - check out the general discussion forum - lots of folks in there, enjoy!