New Rules App from British Fencing

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Gav, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

I saw this on Twitter and thought it might be of interest to the folks on here.

Here's a link with more information:

http://www.britishfencing.com/events/fie_international_fencing_rules/

I've got it on my phone and it's exactly what it says it is: a rules app. I quite like the way the penalties cross reference the rules. Could be very handy for people who are interested in learning the rules.

Check it out. If you've got feedback I am sure British Fencing would like to hear from you.

swordwench likes this.
  2. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

interesting... is it only for apple products, or are there android / Microsoft app versions?

3. Gav

No Microsoft, but I have it on Android.

4. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

Not that I ever expect to actually NEED the FIE rule book anytime soon

Inquartata likes this.
  5. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

50+ downloads at $2.49.

6. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

First thank you Gav for letting us know. I am getting a new tablet and will get this as soon as it arrives and I set it up. One of the questions I am curious about is they talk about making changes quarterly and sooner for rule changes. Will that cost and if so how much or will it be a free upgrade?

I am going to get it, either way, even knowing just around the corner, there is going to be a major change to the rules. This is even more massive than the changes in 2005 for the FIE Rulebook. The last major restructuring was 1999, when we first went to the TOM rulebook. This is restructuring the entire Technical & Organizational rules, both within and between the two.

7. swordwench

swordwench is a Verified Fencing Expertswordwench Podium

Thank you! I've been wanting a good way to look things up on the fly that didn't involve an Acrobat file. One limitation: it doesn't seem to have a very granular search capability. For instance, look up lateral, and it finds nothing - however, it's in the actual rules. (Yes, I cross-referenced the contents of the downloaded file in the app with the search.)

Now we need a US version so we don't have to translate all those words. :)

8. Gav

That's a good question. I'm not involved in the project but I get the impression they're looking at keeping the rules updated with the insertions and deletions applied. It is a lot of work but worth it and I think it's preferable to the old way...

9. Gav

We don't need your filthy language polluting OUR rules! ;)

I'd feed your searching question back to them, a good search option (something I noted) would be terrific they were pretty responsive when I messaged them.