New mask requirements motion on USFA BoD agenda

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by mfp, Jul 7, 2019.

1. mfp

mfp Podium

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Well, the refs are the ones who see the masks coming off during fencing. I imagine it has a greater exigency for them.

3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

It looks like this is to be implemented for the 2020-2021 season?
    Also, why do they keep downgrading the US material standards? 1600N bibs are the norm for the rest of the world. Give a longer implementation and notification time.

4. posineg

posineg DE Bracket

Ouch, that 350N bib is going to not protect my collar bone much when I get hit... and we all know that the cost of the masks will somehow go up even though there might be less costly material being used than the 1600N material. I can understand the need to clarify the requirements of safety for the masks, that is just to keep people from wiggling out of what is currently needed but to drop the Bib rating is going to cause a lot of people sore throats and maybe the need for a gorgé.

5. neevel

neevel Armorer

They're not weakening the requirements, as FIE masks (i.e., 1600 N bibs) have never been required. They're just making the wording of the section from the FIE rules (which do mandate FIE homologated gear) match the rest of the US rules w.r.t non-FIE gear being allowed.

6. posineg

posineg DE Bracket

I read what you are saying but they are changing the rules m.25.7e to be 350N rather than the 1600N they have had. How long have the 1600N bibs been in the rulebook?

7. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

But they're not. The 1600N was only for FIE. There has never been a requirement for Newton rating on equipment for US fencing, with the exception of saber gloves. This includes masks.

8. neevel

neevel Armorer

The 1600 N Rule has been in the rulebook ever since the FIE established Homologation guidelines. In the US Fencing version of the rules, there has been a note stating that FIE homologated equipment is not required for domestic US competitions. The proposal is to add the wording describing the new anchored velcro retaining strap that is mandated for masks at the FIE level to the US rules. Because that wording also contains references to the 1600 N bib, and because the proposal is not to mandate full FIE masks but just the new backstrap, the reference to 1600 N is changed to 350 N (which is the CEN 1 standard that non-FIE masks are made to).

9. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I'm unclear which of the new strap requirements this covers, specifically for the LP Contour Fit system. Does this require the secondary magnetic strap around the neck? Or does this require the new velcro system for the main strap?

10. neevel

neevel Armorer

The new velcro system. The reference to the magnetic strap is saying that if it is present, it must be kept fastened. Contour Fit masks with the new velcro strap system also still have the loops for the magnetic strap on the bib.

11. mfp

mfp Podium

A bit of the proposed change seems somewhere between odd and downright stupid:

Implementation: FIE homologated masks used in National events will be required to conform to the amended rules no later than 1 Aug 2020; all masks used in National events will be required to conform to the amended rules no later than 1 Aug 2021; all masks used in any USA Fencing event will be required to conform to the amended rules no later than 1 Aug 2022

Does the Board really want some people to wear non-FIE, non-new strap masks instead of their FIE, non-new strap masks for a year at National events between 1 Aug 2020 and 1 Aug 2021? Retrofitting some FIE masks will be more of a hassle than simply using a non-FIE, non-new strap mask, so some people will go that route.

12. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Thanks. I guess it's time for a new mask :(

13. neevel

neevel Armorer

You should be able to have an X-Change mask shell retrofitted with the new strap system. Check with LP USA about that.

14. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Wish I'd known this was coming earlier. I could have picked up a new non-FIE mask at the Swordmasters "going out of business sale" cheap to use while getting my X-change retrofitted. Better to use a 350N mask than not to be able to practice at all for who knows how many weeks.

15. brtech

brtech Podium

They didn't pass it. At least a year delay while they look at data.

16. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Really? That's a big surprise. I wonder what kind of data they're looking for?

17. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Thanks! I'll see what the cost is.

18. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

It was like $20-30 about a year ago

19. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I got the form and it is $25 + $12 shipping now. Easily worth it even if US Fencing does not adopt the change right away.

20. Mergs

Mergs Podium

What data? And where is it coming from?