New FIE Mask Requirements

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by bobb121, Dec 7, 2017.

1. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

2. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. posineg

posineg Made the Cut

I wonder if masks will be able to be updated, placing the two brackets and getting the double strap?

4. Black Widow

Black Widow Made the Cut

Good improvement for fencers' safety, I am happy they are doing this.
    Can't believe I just said that I agree with a rule change.:eek:

5. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

@posineg ,
    I contacted PBT and they stated that there was no way to issue a kit to update the mask. The mask would need to be sent in to be refitted. They did state they would hold onto the mask and ship out on your next order to save shipping.

6. Zebra

Zebra Podium

There's a potential market here for someone to sell and rivet on the new fixation system "while you wait."

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Getting a rivet through the mesh AND the fabric will be a major job, tho.

8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Good grief.

Referees, prepare to have your pools take quite a bit longer, as fencers fumble with all of these additional straps and fastenings prior to each bout.

9. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

But the new system requires a special Newton rated Elastic which would drive the cost up tremendously.

10. dcchew

dcchew Podium

As a national level armorer, I've seen the mask elastic straps in all sorts of conditions. It always amazes me how much people complain when you fail a mask for a worn out strap/velcro or ill fitting mask.

A mask has only one objective, to protect the wearer. It can't accomplish that task if it won't stay on your head. A stay in a hospital far outweighs the cost of a good mask and your health.

ktinoue3 and Black Widow like this.
  11. LeonPaulUSA

LeonPaulUSA Made the Cut

Just to clarify, the new requirement is for FIE Sanction events only, starting with the 2018-2019 fencing season, so there's a good bit of time for USA Fencing to decide if and when they will adopt this rule for domestic competitions. I would be surprised if they aligned their timeline with FIE, as this would put quite a burden on the fencers and equipment vendors. Remember this was never really an issue to recently, but we do need to always be looking at ways to keep fencing safe.

12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

*cough cough* Sabre glove implementation *cough*

13. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Gawd forbid anyone ever vomits in their mask, because it's going to be a lot harder and slower to remove before you inhale the result. This could be life-threatening.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  14. brtech

brtech Podium

Well, actually, it goes into effect at the end of this season. All of next season's events require it, but so do World Championships, starting at Jr/Cadet in Verona in April 2018.

US SEMI will be forwarding a recommendation to the Board, and the Board will decide if and when to apply to USA Fencing events. Unlike many theoretic problems, we actually see masks coming off, so I personally think this should apply to our events, and sooner rather than later. We would probably not require FIE homologated masks, but just copy the strap requirement.

15. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I wonder why they still want the magnetic strap on the neck. It just made the mask flop forward, not act as a second retention device.

I could see LP offering an armorer's kit and instructions to install the two side clips, plus the new straps.

16. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

So having added the second strap ( with the magnetic catch ) to their masks in response to previous FIE insistence, they now get to redesign their retention system AGAIN. And of course we get to pay for the resulting change.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  17. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I literally just ordered a new bib for my X-Change mask, figuring that I may as well have the extra strap so I can fence in Canada. Now the mask is already obsolete.

I get that people let their elastic wear out to unacceptable levels. I get that people don't replace their velcro. But it feels like every few years I have to buy parts for, or now replace, the most expensive piece of equipment in my bag, not because that equipment has worn out or has defects but because the specifications for it have changed.

If I'm reading this and brtech's assessment correctly, it sounds like every fencer will have to buy a new mask. That sucks. A lot.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Inquartata likes this.
  18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I just bought a bib with the second strap because it's required for FIE competitions, of which Vet Worlds is one. Vexed some of the refs in Maribor fumbling about trying to fasten the second strap---and at one point having the buckle come off the end of the strap. Ref had to put it back on and it promptly came off again. He was not amused.

This was after having a very expensive visor mask ( also required ) rendered useless after FIE decreed that they could no longer be used.

This crap seems to be happening more and more, with the gloves being the latest. And no way to know whether any of it has actually augmented safety or reduced injuries, because of the difficulty of demonstrating a negative.

19. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

At least gloves are relatively cheap and wear out quickly. The promise of buying an FIE mask that lasts for decades was a false one.

20. EspadaMK

EspadaMK Made the Cut

I am hoping that LP will sell just the shells for those with exchange masks.

If this filters down to national levels then it will really impact upon clubs who will have to replace all of their masks and for us that would be a lot of money.