New FIE foil blade? any sugestion??

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Arlecchino, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Arlecchino

Arlecchino Rookie

Hi,
    I'm gonna buy a new foil FIE blade (I know this question has being overly asked but) you guys got any sugestions? I allready have a BF white and I find to stiff for me and a LP Flickmaster wich is great but lack a bit of point control (just a tad bit, not much for me!) And I would like a blade with great flexibility for Flick actions (I like to score with a flick :D) and point control, just want to says that i'm not super strong (but I know how to flick correctly, got some lessons with ma coach) and that I would juste like a blade that doesn't wobbles as much as the Flickmaster when I do a parade or a beat but flicks well like the LP!

I had some Idea on my mind:
    -LP budget FIE (looks kinda funky, I like funky stuff :p)
    -The G-pro, from review i read its looks good
    -Vniti?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for my bad english i'm a frenchie :p

2. D'Art

D'Art Rookie

If you want point control avoid the LP budget. Actually, just avoid the LP budget like the plague anyway.

Never tried the G-pro, so can't comment on it.

Vniti - great blade, but unless you set it up right, it can feel heavy and slightly unbalanced at times.

Have you tried a stiffer flickmaster?

3. rudd

rudd Podium

Or a more flexible BF.

I had one G-Pro and didn't like it. The idea seems sound, a stiff blade for point control with a more flexible foible for flick but I didn't like the feel and the foible seems to take kinks easily.

4. Belegur

Belegur Made the Cut

Not only that, but the last two I used in competitions (circa 2010) took bad bends in the forte region which couldn't be completely removed. Now, most of that is possibly due to distance errors on my part, but competition intensity is different from practice.

To the OP, may I recommend StM FIE? They seem to be medium-rated in most respects: they're a slightly heavier blade (but have a good balance, so this isn't immediately apparent), have good point control and have reasonable durability. And, depending on where you order it, they're among the cheapeast blades available.

5. caerdathyl

caerdathyl Rookie

The Leon Paul Budget is basically a miraging version of the LP France. Very whipy, which is probably apparent from the pictures (very
    thin forte), ok durability, and light as foils go. The Golubitsky as far as I know from using one in my club is very similar to the BF's. It's got a very European "continental" feel, completely differently balanced from all of Leon Paul's other foils. It's a bit lighter than BF (or a bit heavier depending on the batch of BF :p) The Vniti is VERY heavy, probably the most heavy foil blade out there. it last forever though. probably more stiff than what you're looking for though, slightly flexy at the foible, rock hard at the forte, in many ways a lot like a heavy, indestructible BF or G-Pro.

You know, you can always get a Flickmaster with a different flex, 65-70 sounds like what you'd want.
    Hope this helps!

6. Arlecchino

Arlecchino Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestion!

I think that a 60-75 flickmaster would be good, but I don't find on the usa LeonPaul website were could I choose this specification! The only choices I have are Stiff, medium and flexible!

7. caerdathyl

caerdathyl Rookie

Unfortunately i'm in the dark about this as well. I've only ever purchased Leon Paul Blades at their vendors. If possibly this is really the best way.

8. Pescados666

Pescados666 Rookie

I have a 70 and I love it. I do like to flick, but I find it has better point control than an etoile and doesn't take bends too easy (then again, I've fenced for 5 years now and haven't broke a blade yet, besides the two tips that were snapped off by horribly aimed beats by the other fencer and someone carelessly stepping one one). It has a section that it tapers down quite a bit in, and that's the only place that it's bent so far.

9. ouik

ouik Rookie

get a vniti maximum stiffness.
    it flicks great and is stiff enough to make valid touches.

10. caerdathyl

caerdathyl Rookie

If you find a BF too stiff you might not want to go with a Vniti max