New fencing podcast

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by SabreCoachKate, Jun 1, 2017.

1. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

2. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

3. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

Episode 3 with Iris Zimmerman Nowack has been released:

4. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

5. DLEE

DLEE Made the Cut

Great interview with Ariana Klinkov. Questions and answers were informative and voice quality and production were excellent. Have not listened to the others as yet.

6. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

Thanks for the comments!

7. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

Episode 5: Dan Berke
    If you have ever hosted a fencing tournament or competed in one, you have today's guest to thank for its smooth operation. Back before Dan Berke created Fencing Time, seeding was done by hand with the help of index cards; one gust of wind could ruin a whole event. Dan, a Microsoft engineer who started fencing later in life, put his impressive technological skills to work and created software that made that system obsolete. From its simple roots in the Pacific Northwest, it is now used to seamlessly run tournaments in a wide variety of countries. Listen now for my interview with the creator of Fencing Time, Dan Berke.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/sabrecoachkate/Episode_5_Dan_Berke_-_62817_11.27_PM.mp3

8. Quinn

Quinn Made the Cut

The link appears to be broken. This one works for me:

Nice podcasts btw, thanks for uploading.

SabreCoachKate likes this.
  9. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

Episode 6: Jerry Benson
    My guest today, Jerry Benson, has worn a huge number of hats over the years: fencing club owner, referee, business consultant, fencing Master, HEMA enthusiast, philosopher, a member of the US Fencing Board of Directors, husband, Paralympic coach, and, most importantly: mentor. Jerry has a passion for helping each individual reach his or her personal best whether that be on the fencing strip, serving as a referee, or navigating life's muddy waters. Jerry has special insight due to multiple degrees in business, religion, psychology, and fencing in addition to many years of personal, hard earned experience. Many referees, fencers, and coaches owe their skills and successes to this man. Here is his story.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/sabrecoachkate/Episode_6_Jerry_Benson_-_7317_11.25_PM.mp3

10. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

This year’s Summer Nationals and July Challenge broke records for attendance, even though the qualifying paths were more challenging. Many participants and coaches commented on how much more difficult every event was than in past years, which means the overall quality of fencing in our country is increasing! Over 4200 athletes total competed in this tournament—most of whom did multiple events. Day 6 had the highest number of participants in a single day: nearly 1500!

Every day, I did a series of one-minute interviews to capture the stories of the people who make up this incredible environment. You’ll hear from armourers, National Office staff, vendors, fencing parents, Olympians, coaches, fencers, and referees. Every person at the venue was vital to the success of such a huge event. You’ll also hear the energy, excitement, and NOISE the participants experienced. Tune in now to hear what the largest fencing tournament in the world sounded like!

http://traffic.libsyn.com/sabrecoachkate/Episode_7_Summer_Nationals_-_71217_1.54_PM.mp3

11. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

SabreCoachKate podcast Episode 8: Kamali Thompson is available now!

http://traffic.libsyn.com/sabrecoachkate/Episode_8_Kamali_Thompson_-_71917_10.12_AM.mp3

My guest today is Kamali Thompson. Kamali is a very dynamic and determined individual who not only trains as an elite athlete but is also in medical school. She very candidly talks about her training regimen and turning disappointment into success. A mere three weeks after learning she didn't make the Olympic team she rallied and won the Division 1 Women's Sabre championship. You'll learn about the village it takes to create an elite athlete and the journey that Kamali took--and is still taking--to reach the pinnacle of our sport.

I had so much fun doing this interview. Even though it was long distance, Kamali's energy and laughter made it a joy. Tune in now for an interview full of powerful insights into the double life of Kamali Thompson.

12. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

Episode 9: Carla-Mae Richards is now available!
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/sabrecoachkate/Episode_9_Carla-Mae_Richards_-_72717_7.53_AM.mp3

Carla-Mae Richards allowed me to interview her the first day of Summer Nationals this year. It was really intimidating because she is a legend in our sport. Not only was she a fencer back when girls weren’t really allowed to participate in sports, but she became the first Executive Director of what would become the United States Fencing Association. She has had a direct influence on many aspects of fencing, including the structure of the North American Cup, or NAC, tournament series.

If you want to read the speech she gave as she was being inducted into the Fencing Hall of Fame, visit http://usfencinghalloffame.com/wp/richards-carla-mae/ Here’s a quote from it: Though I never succeeded, as an athlete, beyond New England fencing, there remained the fierce determination of the competitor to prove oneself. And so I traded the sword for the pen and paved the way for future growth – not just in numbers but in stature of and respect for US athletes. It was a roller coaster ride especially with little preparation. Today one would look for a person with sports administration background and perhaps an MBA. I was a computer programmer, a part time high school fencing coach and partner in our own fencing businesses. To say that I tackled the challenges by the seat of my pants is an understatement and I landed on my seat more times than I can recall. The learning process was arduous, not just for me but for all the volunteers who were conditioned to run the organization from the get go.

Listen as Ms. Richards tells you many stories about her experiences helping American fencing grow on the international stage. You’ll probably recognize some of the names of people she mentions—she knows A LOT of people!

13. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

Episode 10: Lynn Botelho is now available!
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/sabrecoachkate/Episode_10_Lynn_Botelho_-_8117_10.28_PM.mp3

Like all of my guests, Lynn Botelho is a multi-faceted individual. She is a professor of history at Indiana University of Pennsylvania and serves as the Director of Women’s and Gender Studies. She teaches courses on the Renaissance and Reformation, early modern Europe, the history of the body, and English history. She has written numerous books on the history of old age and the aging body. You can check out her blog https://lynnbotelho.com/home/ for more information about them.

On a comical note, I checked out Lynn’s profile on the popular “Rate my Professor” site. Her top tags are:
    GET READY TO READ (7)
    TOUGH GRADER (5)
    EXTRA CREDIT (3)
    AMAZING LECTURES (3)
    INSPIRATIONAL (2)
    SO MANY PAPERS (2)
    RESPECTED (2)
    CLEAR GRADING CRITERIA (1)
    LECTURE HEAVY (1)
    SKIP CLASS? YOU WON'T PASS. (1)
    GIVES GOOD FEEDBACK (1)
    LOTS OF HOMEWORK (1)

Lynn is also a high-level foil fencer and has earned many honors in our sport. She has been part of many Veteran World Championship Teams, earning Silver in Team Foil and Bronze in Individual in 2016, and Gold in Team Foil in 2015. She became the Veteran 50 Women’s Foil Champion at Summer Nationals this past July. She also still regularly competes in Division 1, which has inspired me to look at my own competition schedule for the upcoming season and add in a few for myself.

Listen now for the interview I did with Lynn while sitting on the floor near the referee lunch room at the Salt Palace during Summer Nationals.

Peach likes this.
  14. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

Episode 11: Michael Mergens is now up!

https://sabrecoachkate.wordpress.com/2017/08/10/episode-11-michael-mergens/

Michael “Mergs” Mergens, is a USFA certified Armorer, Coach and Referee with over 35 years of experience in the sport of Fencing. He regularly works as the Head Armorer and Team Armorer for many of the USA Fencing National and International events. He is the owner of the online Armorer’s Store (http://www.thearmorersstore.com) and is the author of the well-known book called The Care and Feeding of all Things Fencing.

Mergs graduated from Texas A&M in 1977 with an engineering degree and belonged to the Corps of Cadets and Parson’s Mounted Calvary. He went on to serve in the US Army and was stationed in Bosnia and Iraq. He also was a part of many projects for NASA, including the creation of a trash compactor for the Space Station. This is one smart man!!

Listen now to the interview I did with him in the cafeteria of Keystone College in Pennsylvania where we were both attending the Coaches’ Academy.

Peach likes this.
  15. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

16. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

17. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie

18. SabreCoachKate

SabreCoachKate Rookie