New fencing bag prototype from H.O.M.!

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Purple Fencer, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I had a bad bloody nose the other day and it was easier to shave the 'stache then try to clean it off...and I usually look sleepy!

2. Degenmeister

Degenmeister Rookie

The bag looks nice, and certainly very roomy. Are you satisfied with the quality of construction?? Anything that big and capable of carrying that much gear has to be extra strong at the seams and straps, with durable zippers. And is it comfortable/convenient to carry with the strap configuration?

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I've only had it for a day, but am using it as my personal bag, which gets in and out of the car a lot, so it'll get a good test run.

The seams DO seem pretty good, and the material seems more robust than on other bags. The hand strap works well as a shoulder handle.

I;ll let you know more as I play with the bag.

4. jfarmer

jfarmer DE Bracket

Bag makes him look short? :)

That's not a sleepy look, that's "I will not groan from the weight of this bag!"

Nice looking bag. I may be looking at one for my son. His typical load is 2 foils, 2 epees, 3 sabres, various body & mask cords, full uniform, 2 masks, 2 lames, change or two of clothing, and misc "stuff"...

I'm not sure it would work for me, it's both too small and too big. Currently I carry a "locker bag" with clean clothes, warmup gear, etc., a basic guitar bag for my uniform & dry weapons (for teaching intro classes), and a basic 2 compartment rolllie bag for electric gear, weapons to fix, etc.

And then there's all the coaching gear, club gear, etc....

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

How many bearers does all this require, bwana? And do you carry the Express rifle yourself? :jester:

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Oh, don't need a bag to make me look short!

As for the size...remember that it's only 4 inches longer than a Linena one compartment bag...the real diff is the width and depth (12x12 compared to 8X10).

And even loaded up, it's not really that heavy when on my shoulder...a lot easier than the big teardrop I've been using, since nothing's hitting me in the shins!

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Oh, don't need a bag to make me look short!

As for the size...remember that it's only 4 inches longer than a Linena one compartment bag...the real diff is the width and depth (12x12 compared to 8X10).

And even loaded up, it's not really that heavy when on my shoulder...a lot easier than the big teardrop I've been using, since nothing's hitting me in the shins!

8. jfarmer

jfarmer DE Bracket

That's what students are for.:) All told,when I load up my van for classes and club night, there's a 5 large (32" by 12") duffel bags with jackets, masks, and lames. A large (2' by 2' by 4') rolling rubbermaid tub with scoring & testing gear, 4 Favero reel sets, 2 hard shell golf bags with club weapons, and 3 or 4 small bags with misc. cords, tools, etc. And my personal gear...

Of course, when I choose to go compete at a tournament, or haul a group to one, a lot gets sorted out and the remaining repacked. (Eg, not going to a Sabre event,no since in taking along 6 masks & 10 lames...).

9. jfarmer

jfarmer DE Bracket

Is there a method to mount it on a rolling frame, like most of the "Team bags" from FN, Linena, Absolute, etc. do? Is it also longer than the typical 2 compartment bag? Since I carry both french and pistol grip foils and epees, as well as sabres, I'm all the time ramming a pommel or PVC tube through the fabric at the ends. In fact my current bag (FdN team bag strapped to a rolling frame) is about to get both ends re-enforced (and holes covered) where that's happened. I'm hoping that a longer bag might help prevent this.

10. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

That was sorta the idea when I designed it at first. I'd have to measure a current 2 comparement rollbag. I'm here in Las Vegas at PCCs now, and Post is here vending...I;ll measure the rollbag he's got out and get back to you.

12. lanyingjie

lanyingjie Made the Cut

Wow this thing looks good. Any way I can get one? :p.

The downer though, is that I live in Singapore, halfway round the world from you folks. Unless I get my friends in the States to bring one back...

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Heh...thanks! I just got it and haven'tfigured my pricing yet, but I'll see what I can do. It's made in Shanghai if I remember right, so once I figure the pricing out, I might be able to have him ship one directly to you.

14. yuyax

yuyax Rookie

I am not sure if you are still taking suggestions but just in case:

1- Make the handle straps go all the way around the bag so the weight of the bag is fully supported by the handles. This will minimize the risk of the straps coming off from the seams where there are sewn. I have been the recipient of several bags and tote bags, for example Timbuk 2, where the straps just came off from regular usage because they were just short and sewn in to the top of the bag . For example, these LLBean tote bags have straps that are sewn and go all the way to the bottom of the bag:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...=&itemExposureFlag=Y&imageFunctionIndicator=4

2- Regarding a long pocket for the sweaty lame, clothing, etc, put the long pocket on the outside the bag. Have this pocket be made of mesh, breathable material so the lame/clothing can air out. This will also minimize the chances of mold, mildew and funkiness in the bag. Check out these diving bags with mesh pockets/covers:

http://www.armorbags.com/meshbags.htm

15. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

They do..you just can't see it...the exteripr pocket covers the straps up.

THAT one I hadn't considered. Thanks for the suggestion.

16. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Here're a couple of comparison pics

Length diff vs a current bag.
    [​IMG]

View from the end.
    [​IMG]

17. yuyax

yuyax Rookie

Bag Divider

What do you think about this idea?

Inside of the bag, instead of having a 'straight' divider panel right in the middle, make this divider panel diagonal, from one corner to the opposite corner of the bag. Thus creating two long triangular sections inside the bag.

By doing it this way, the mask can be placed on one end of the bag, on one side of the diagonal divider, and it will minimize the possible rolling inside the bag. The weapons can be placed on the other side, sort of like the way they are stored in a guitar type bag. And it will be a little bit more roomy to store other stuff.

I hope that I was able to describe this properly.

18. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I've found that my mask barely moves in the bag when it's loaded, and an angled seperator would seem to actually cut down on the room inthe bag for weapons nd other gear, especially if oyu carry a lot of weapons and an instructor's plastron.

19. jfarmer

jfarmer DE Bracket

You might consider making the internal partition movable. Eg., attach it at the ends using industrial strength velcro, and possibly tab on the bottom about mid-ways down the length. Then those who wanted 2 triangles, or 1 large, 1 smaller sections could be happy. The issues I would see are 1. would the Velcro be strong enough to hold things in place and 2. how well would the Velcro hold up.

20. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Probably on a future version of the bag....I want to see how this one sells when I can get a few made.