New Epee Point Screw

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by rarveras, Sep 15, 2012.

1. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. Seprest

Seprest Made the Cut

Hello, I finally had one of these fall out on me. I had 2 in my german epee tip for 3 weeks. I tightened them about 1 week after I put them in, though they didn't need it. I normally tighten all my tip screws each week, but I wanted to stress test these. I went through ~22.5 hours of total fencing with the NEPS screws. Although losing 1 screw every 3 weeks is normal, though I feel that now that I'm going to tighten them each week I will rarely lose any of these screws. The tool is still an evolution in the ease of putting in screws.

3. Seprest

Seprest Made the Cut

double post.

4. shlepzig

shlepzig Podium

I just tried it myself with one of the older TiN tips. The NEPS goes into the point fine,. It seems that the shoulder on the NEPS hangs up on the slot. uploadfromtaptalk1352578213656.jpg

Attached Files:

5. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Yes, I think that's exactly the issue - the slot must be a few thousandths narrower than the other LP barrels.

6. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

In that case one possible solution would be to widen the slots a little with a needle file, much the same way you would remove a burr from the slot that was causing the tip to stick.

Just hope that you don't have to widen it more than a few thousandths - I imagine there comes a point where widening the slots would require more effort than it would be worth (although where that point occurs may vary from individual to individual).

7. EldRick

EldRick Podium

I'd be more inclined to just replace the barrels when I run out of LP screws. Don't forget that these are nitrided, and might be a bit tougher than usual to file.

8. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

I doubt it. Alternatively, you could file the collar on the NEPS a little.

9. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

NEPS as a Christmas present suggestion..

Hi everybody,

For those great fencing friends...What to give away to them for Christmas this year?... Any idea?
    I guess a starter kit NEPS bag can be a pretty good symbolic and not-expensive present for those friends who are also keen on fencing.

Best Regards

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  10. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Hi everyone,

How are NEPS working so far ? Anybody can give any tip screw lasting figures or experience ? ( weeks, days,..)

Thanks in advance

11. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Hi everybody,

for those of you that where concerned about the tool being too slicky and too small, I have managed myself some practical and temporary solutions that allow an enhancement in its usability.

1) I have used a thermoretractyle plastic tube section and an instant glue to surround, adjust and fix it to the bigger steel cylinder.

2) I have used a screwdriver handle for 2,5 mm diam drivers to insert and adjust the special tool drive to it.

I have adde some pictures to illustrate my explanation NEPSdrive tool enhanced.jpg NEPSdrive tool enhanced 1.jpg

12. Seprest

Seprest Made the Cut

Hello, I may do that modification to the tool. I found that I had use to a piece of cloth to grip the small tool to completely tighten the screw. Since I found this I have not had another screw fall out. I also tighten them a little after every practice. I really wish the tool let you apply more torque, but it is really too small. I would give up the double sided feature for a nice texture to increase friction.

13. K O'N

K O'N Podium

The driver is a good idea. What handle did you use? I have a handle for small metric drivers, but it doesn't fit the tool, I already tried it. Do you have a source or a brand name or something?

K O'N

14. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I like those driver enhancements, and echo Seprest re his thoughts.

Make the screws able to be held on my a magnetized standard screwdriver and you REALLY have a winner.

I'll be putting a couple onto the prime weapon for one of our more intense HS team epeeists and have him keep an eye out.

15. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

K O'N, I got it in an allstar / ulhman website. I'ts a handle wich includes 4 different driver heads.

16. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Hi everybody,

I want you to know that so far NEPS have been able to interest fencers in Italy, France, Ireland, Finland, Sweden, New Zealand, Australia, Germany and Singapore (besides USA and Spain of course). There are still some important countries where I haven't landed yet, but it's just a patience matter.

Thank you very much for your reviews, most of them based on your heavy experience as armourers as well as on your common sense.

I will thank you again if you can give me any news or feedback about the NEPS experience on the day-to-day fencing training or competition fencing

Thanks again

rarveras

17. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I used my weapon with the NEPS in it in a tournament over the weekend. In preparation, since it is the weapon I use most in practice, I removed the tip for a quick cleaning and to replace a worn weight spring. I have never tightened the screws and they were still perfectly tight after a few months.

I did have a thought about a potential problem with the design as I was removing the screws, although a very minor one. Most screws have the possibility of having the heads mashed to the point that the screw slot closes and the screw is hard to remove. This is less of an issue with the NEPS, but if the same sort of situation were to arise, then the threads on one end would be mashed instead. In that case, it might be difficult to know which direction the screw was inserted the first time to put it back the same way. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if the threads get stripped by the tip, then it is easy to just reverse the screw.

I think I will try marking the screws with colored marker before removing them just in case.

18. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Hi everybody,

It's been two months since I first introduced NEPS to Fencing.net community. As you can imagine I'm still very interested in knowing about your experience on how are NEPS working on competition and trainning, and if you have noticed the difference with standard epee screws.

Thank you for your feedback

rarveras

19. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I was at a competition this weekend and two reffs looked at the screws with interest. During a break I showed them the tool, how it worked and they were impressed. Pointed them to FdN for purchase so I don't know of anywhere else they are sold. I may need another package.

The only issue is with my FWFv2 (the extra-thick), the screws are narrower than the slot so there's some wiggle of the point. Doesn't seem like a major issue though.

Five-stars; will buy again.

20. EldRick

EldRick Podium

I'm still trying to figure out why some think that the NEPS are not magnetic, and can't be picked up on a standard magnetized screwdriver. My NEPS are just as magnetic as the LP screws I had been using.

Have different steels been used in different batches?