New Epee Point Screw

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by rarveras, Sep 15, 2012.

1. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

No, as far as I am concerned. But I agree that different batches of the same steel type (304) could explain this different magnetic behaviour.

There is another explanation possible. This screws are processed by cold stamping techniques and this deformation transforms partially 304 austenitic steel into martensitic material, which is magnetic. The combination between batch material properties and cold stamp deformation effects could cause these different magnetic properties.

Although this possible reasons, I really don't have a 100% sure explanation.

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

That could've happened....happened to me with a batch of LP screws about three years ago. Fortunately, I hadn't bought that many. and burned through them rather quickly. All future screws have stuck, so it appears to have been a one-time deal.

It's possible that your batch of NEPS is newer and made with steel that sticks.

If that is the case, and if that's going top be standard for all future screws, I'll probably be switching over soon.

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I have a 100% solution, tho....make them with a steel that WILL stick to a screwdriver, regardless of manufacturing technique.

Issue solved.

4. Mergs

Mergs Podium

This ground has been ploughed numerous times..........But I will re-iterate. The ones that I received did not stick to the strip magnet that I use, which to me was the problem. Sticking to the damn screwdriver/tool was not the issue I had with them. If subsequent batches stay put on the magnet strip, by what ever means, then bravo - mischief managed, so go forth and do great things!

5. EldRick

EldRick Podium

I think he already did. I bought the NEPS about a week after Mergs, via f.net. One way or the other, apparently no longer an issue.

6. nwtrout

nwtrout Made the Cut

I just received the NEPS screws and driver (quick order and very quick ship - thanks!). A few epee weapons were due for basic cleaning so I took the opportunity to change out the tips screws (LP and German) with the new NEPS screws. What I found:

The screws are attracted to strong magnet - ie. metal dish w/magnet base
    A standard magnet screw driver will not pick NEPS screws up where it will other tip screws
    Magnetic or not, it really wasn't an issue as the screws readily stay put on the driver and were a breeze to install
    The collar feature is very nice and stops one from screwing into the insullation
    I'd like the driver to be longer or able to fit into a receiving handle (like those with interchangable bits)

Looking forward to see how they hold up.

7. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Hi there,

I've been reported of some cases in where an incorrect /not clean fitting/sliding of the NEPS screw along the barrel slots has been detected. LP TiN (gold) have been one case and some type of Italian tip/barrels (I don't know exactly which brand).

Has anybody detected this problem too?

I guess thats nothing that can't be solved with a small filing work but I'm interested in finding out which brand were the points/barrel in which this type of problems arose or at least in which circumstances (heavy used points or barrels) happened.

Thank you in advance

8. EldRick

EldRick Podium

As I reported earlier, they would not work with my LP TiN points. Mine were lightly used, and show no signs of abuse. I tried in it two of them.

9. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

On this special time, please let me wish you all..... FencingFan_NEPS_NADAL_2012 - copia.jpg

Ricardo Arveras

10. MacDream

MacDream Rookie

I just received my NEPS screws. I found that now I can re-use those old Ulhmann tips with 1 blunt screw hole.

11. shlepzig

shlepzig Podium

Confirmed with me. it seems that the tolerences for the slots in the barrel is too tight to accomodate the collar. It is hard to detect visually because it is a very small clearance issue. You can get the screw into the tip and the leverage from screwing it in will allow it to easily pass through the slot with very little drag. As soon at the screws are tightened into place you find the tip is almost immobile (with the collar forced into a solid 90 deg angle maximizing the contact of with the slot and jamming of the tip).

A very small amount of filing to the slot with the jewelers file allowed the screw to be used with the tip.

12. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

Did you only file the sides of the slot, or did you also file down/open the rounded ends of the slot? Just wondering if not filing down the ends would limit the travel of the tip slightly...

13. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Exactly what I experienced.

14. shlepzig

shlepzig Podium

I did not file down the ends as I was using a flat sided file with the intention not to create any uneveness in the surface which could impede a smooth travel of the point.

Afterwards the tip passed both gap and shim test using an Uhlmann set without trouble.

Only a couple passes with the file were necessary.

15. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

The next batch we receive (in about 30 days) should have this issue fixed as well.

- Craig

16. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Craig, thanks for selling these. I've shown them around here and many people have expressed interest.

17. damianip

damianip Podium

Craig,

Can you "announce" this new batch arrival?

I'd like to give them a try, but my and a lot of my team mates gear uses various LP barrels, and I was hesitant to try these until this issue was addressed.

Impatiently :),

Paolo

18. shlepzig

shlepzig Podium

The next batch of tip screws or LP TiN points. I think Alex Paul had weighed in that the LP tolerences had changed so newer TiN barrels were compatible.

19. jh.tfa.usf

jh.tfa.usf Rookie

Don't like them. They're not smooth and stick to the barrel causing a rough press that requires more pressure. I purchased and used them in my Leon Paul and FWF barrels. However, the screw tool that comes with it makes it easier to put in but that's neither here nor there.

20. EldRick

EldRick Podium

I've had the same issue with a new Absolute epee this evening. The NEPS goes in, but once tightened, binds in the barrel.