New book by Olympic Fencer

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by CBS, Jul 25, 2018.

1. CBS

CBS Rookie

2. Soberin

Soberin Podium

Looks like she is settling scores with Korfanty, the USFA, as well as the Senior Team members. Not a very pretty story.

3. Peach

Peach Podium

Looks like she's being honest about conflicts she has experienced and obstacles that were put in her way instead of pretending they didn't exist, which is an excellent way to spark change, though it is not popular.

4. Soberin

Soberin Podium

Ed just cannot seem to avoid relationship problems. Becca and now Ibtihaj. The stuff about the other WS fencers is sickening.

5. tbryan

tbryan Podium

Thanks for the info. You may also be interested Larry Wilmore's interview with Ibtihaj on his Black on the Air podcast: Ibtihaj Muhammad's Unlikely American Dream | Larry Wilmore (Ep. 46). The interview starts around the 14 minute mark.

CBS likes this.
  6. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Apparently she was on the hit ESPN morning show Get Up yesterday. Haven't seen it yet but it's available online as a free podcast and video possibly available somewhere too. She taught the hosts saber and was discussing her book, or so I'm told.

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Is she still fencing? I don't think I've seen her on the strip in a while.

8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I thought she retired from international comps after Rio....which means she was free to write the book.

9. Fenceroni

Fenceroni Rookie

I was quite disappointed by the book - so plainly written, I had to check if I got the young reader's version (I didn't): no analysis, no humor, no metaphors, repetitive linguistic constructions, no questioning anything - whatever parents say is always right, because they know better. In one example, where Ibtihaj works as substitute teacher in an underprivileged neighborhood (which she chose because it pays more and she needed money, as she explains), she comes in and tries to impress the kids, but they don't want to listen, so she decides to just sit there and not teach this lazy and rude kids (quote "Sometimes I felt like I was letting everyone down, but this is what I was given, and I didn't have a lot of other options"). Many of the stories are like that (I am not saying that she could change it or did anything wrong, but I don't think it's right to say that since this underprivileged group of kids is so rude and stupid, here's what they get).

When it comes to accusations about the team, however, I think it would be great for US Fencing to respond and elucidate to us what is being done to avoid such situations in the future, it sounded really bad: for example, I really think it's a bad idea to have a parent of one of the fencers be a squad manager, it seems like conflict of interest is inevitable. Some of the accusations were written too simplistically and lacked supporting facts (e.g. Ibtihaj said that she and other team members were not impressed with Monika Aksamits work ethics or skills with no supporting information at all (has she missed practice? what made you think her skills were subpar? no info at all - she just says it and leaves it).

10. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Annnnd....bridges burned.

11. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

That's one takeaway I guess. Probably the least productive one though.

12. Soberin

Soberin Podium

Based on my experience with the USFA, as well as the competitive insanity that's integral to making a National Team, my sympathies are with Ibtihaj 100%