NEPS screws....for German FOIL points.

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Purple Fencer, May 16, 2018.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

To start off...I DO have permission from Ricardo to talk about these publicly.

Some time ago -- maybe a year? -- Ricardo, he who created the NEPS screws for epee that I've made my default screw, came out with some test pieces of teh same design for German foil points.

These are for the traditional, V2 and Xtra barrels...not the "Belgian" ones.

He sent me a pack to try out and evaluate...others as well (I think I talked to Mergs about them).

They are just as good as the epee versions, use the same tool, and make putting a new screw in soooo much easier (because even a traditional epee screw has the advantage of the barrel slot to help you line it up...not the case on a foil barrel with the holes not countersunk or beveled).

I contacted him a few days ago to ask if they were coming out, because I'd switch to them in a heartbeat.

The issue for him, however, is he doesn't know if there's enough interest to make the investment in sufficient quantity to make it worthwhile.

So...thoughts from the community and my fellow armorers...should he make the investment to produce enough foil screws? Is it worth it to have them on the market?

For me, I'd say yes. Certainly sales would start out slow, but I believe that there will be enough interest once enough are out in the field, similar to how the epee screws worked out.

He will be seeing this thread to read responses.

2. brtech

brtech Podium

I got some to try. They are okay. The screwdriver doesn't hold them as well as the epee screw; they fall out easier. It would be better if we could have a more rugged, magnetized tool. I'd use them if the fencers I worked with used them; I wouldn't put one in someone's foil that didn't have them when they gave me the foil to work on. Have you tried them with the FWF thick barrel? I didn't have one around, but it looked like it wouldn't go all the way in.

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I did, in fact. They project just a tiiiiiiiinny bit out from the barrel....less than the Absolute thick barreled ones.

As for the tool....I've gotten into the habit of using the NEPS driver to get the screw started and then my normal driver to finish tightening it up.

4. mtwieg2

mtwieg2 DE Bracket

This is why I stopped using NEPS after they stopped selling the original driver. The drivers with the plastic handles are garbage.

Alfred Tay likes this.
  5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The original driver was too small to be easily used. I have no issue with the new driver when used with a standard one as I outlined above....thye same held true for the foil screws.

6. robert

robert Made the Cut

I prefer the NEPS and while I would continue to buy mostly epee I would start buying foil. Apart from fact they are easier to use I actually like the fact they are also easier to see. I don’t wear my glasses when I fence and with the NEPS epee screw it is easier to see if a screw is missing before I hook on the piste and potentially avoid that yellow card.

7. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Why I switched to screwless.

8. mtwieg2

mtwieg2 DE Bracket

I agree that the original driver should have been a bit longer, but the newer ones simply aren't strong enough. The metal tip warps way too easily, and when that happens it's useless.

What I would really like is a NEPS driver which is solid steel like the original, but has a 1/4" or 1/8" shank so it can fit into any cheap multitool. In fact I think the original driver may have had a 1/4" shank but I never tried it...

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Huh...I've never had an issue with the new driver warping to the point it can't be used...and given the amount of armory I do, that says something.

Remember that I only use the driver to get the screw started -- which seems to be 90% of the difficulty with a traditional screw. Once it's in, I switch to a 5/64th screwdriver to finish up...same 5/64ths to remove, if needed.

10. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

Maybe a couple years ago, but I don't see any reason to switch away from screwless foil tips.

11. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

On that note, FWF just released their screwless foil tip design and I got my hands on some. The functionality is identical to the Uhlmann/Allstar design but the FWF tip has a metal bushing instead of plastic. At a glance it looks to be constructed in a similar fashion to their standard German tip design. I'll probably do a little comparison over on Reddit when I can find some time.

12. killerturkey

killerturkey Rookie

i'd be interested, also though I'm sure this has been asked before is there a good place to buy NEPS screws in bulk

13. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Can you post or link to it? Some of us don't venture far from the swamp.

14. neevel

neevel Armorer

It's really just hopping from one swamp to the next swamp over ;).

15. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

I will do that. I'm re-wiring a blade this weekend and had planned to use that opportunity to take some photos and write up my comparison.

16. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Hi everyone,

Pls look at ths link i Am publishing to ask for interested people on Foil Neps screws going unto production. Coul you help to expand it? Thx in advance.
    Hi,

Pls find this link to see how im looking for people interested in Foil Neps screws.
    https://fb.me/1FjSuE3Wi6wYlDd

17. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

There is also a page on a website where you can look up some pics and videos.

http://www.fencingfan.com/copia-de-contact-us

18. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

While I am still fairly young and unfamiliar with the small differences in foil points, as someone who probably is closer to the laymen/casual armorers than many on this forum: i would die for NFPS.
    One thing that I think is consistently overlooked is how much more difficult it is to seat and drive foil screws than epee ones due to them being smaller and the hole being on the outside of the round barrel. Perhaps the marketing would need to be different: "easy to put in foil tip screws" vs "long lasting tip screws" as they are with epee; but as a semi-official armorer for 3 clubs and occasionally an entire high school conference in the great lakes area I know for a fact they would catch on quickly here.

19. brtech

brtech Podium

Not necessarily true that foil screws are harder to get in then epee. With epee, you have to line up the tip with the slots, and you have have to locate the hole in a recess of the barrel slot. I find foil screws easier to insert then epee, even though they are smaller. Granted, I use a loupe to deal with my eyes not being as sharp as they once were and I use a very high quality magnetic screwdriver. I've tried the foil NEPS and they were okay, but not as much of a win as the epee versions in my opinion. The issue with foil screws is mashing them, and NEPS does nothing for that. In some cases, the NEPS foil screw sticks out farther than the OEM screw. But basically, it seems to be a subject to bashing as much as any other screw and I didn't notice a very big increase in ease of insertion. YMMV of course

20. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Why I switched to screwless.