NBC, The Smarts. and NBC

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Max, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Max

Max Rookie

mrbiggs likes this.
  2. mrbiggs

mrbiggs Podium

YES! YES YES YES YES!

Not only do they have a story on fencing, but they have LINKS! To OTHER stories! They did MORE THAN ONE. Wow.

I'm really glad we have so many fantastic atheletes that are impressive enough to get into the news even though they are...fencers.

We have several very good teams, and an interesting story with the family thing. (Smarts and the Jacobsons).

Wow, I'm starting to browse the site now. Give this network a cookie, MAN did they do a good job. Usually the fencing pictures news networks find kinda suck, but these are really good. I'm impressed. This site gives me confidence that maybe, just maybe, we'll actually see some fencing on TV in the U.S. And with a little luck, maybe it'll be in the daytime as well.

This truly makes my day. :)

3. Peach

Peach Podium

They don't mention Tim Morehouse on the men's sabre team.

4. Army Fencer

Army Fencer Rookie

I don't think they mention any of the alternates.

5. Schiavona

Schiavona Rookie

Hey Army Fencer, in response to your sig line.....HOW FAR

6. Mergs

Mergs Podium

ALL THE WAY! Hooah.

7. glowstix

glowstix DE Bracket

i bet they'll probably only show sabre fencing if the americans make it far enough (and they probably might). i'm more interested in the foil and epee.

8. Elendae

Elendae Rookie

at least its a move in the right direction... now, we just have to hope that they don't show it in the middle of the night....

9. The0ne

The0ne Rookie

good sign number two: there are two people listed as fencing commentators. John Dockery and Suzanne Paxton.

10. Maeve_Mari

Maeve_Mari Rookie

FYI Commentators

Suzanne (Suzie) Paxton joins NBC for her Olympic broadcast debut in Athens as the fencing analyst. Paxton, a member of the 1996 U.S. Olympic Fencing Team, was a top nationally and internationally ranked fencer in women's foil individual and team competition.

John Dockery made the unlikely transition from the quiet Harvard libraries of his undergraduate days to the colorful playing fields of the NFL. Exchanging his mortarboard for a Jet helmet, he added a touch of ivy to the 1969 Super Bowl. On any given Sunday afternoon one had to scan the field to find just where this versatile performer was playing. John spent two seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers and one with the World Football League. As a pro he has played left and right comerback, wide receiver, back-up place-kicker, and, of all things, reserve quarterback

11. grphiw

grphiw Rookie

Wait wait wait...

Does this mean they're going to televise fencing? If so, I may not skip watching it this year. I've come to really hate all the little bios about the gymnists. Somehow, despite my empathy, I cannot get myself to watch those oh so fascinating , heart warming , and overall short and pleseant biographies of how that short woman was born without limbs , trained in what is essentially a meat packing factory with a couple of bars strewn around the room, her boyfriend recently broke up with her and she was blown to nine different pieces with a car bomb. I mean, Who wouldn't watch that?

I'll go get a mop for that sarcasm...

Don't take me wrong, I admire their talent in a awed sort of way. I just don't think it's a sport, it's a live soap opera with really bad actresses who cry a lot.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  12. grphiw

grphiw Rookie

By the way, Athens I believe is GMT +5:00. So, based on the assumption that it will be aired live (I pray that this is not the case, depsite the authenticity of it), East Coasters like me will have the 10:00 AM events start at...

3:00 AM.

I'm going to go buy a lot of blank tapes...

However, it will be done by noon here on the east coast. I think I'm going to become nocturnal that week, take a week off from life.

13. Philistine

Philistine Rookie

You'll still need the blank tapes--but Athens is GMT + 2. So a 10:00 am event would show live on the East Coast at 5:00 p.m. (EDT).

--Philistine