Name Stencilling at Home

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by RebelwithoutaCause, Nov 10, 2009.

1. RebelwithoutaCause

RebelwithoutaCause Rookie

I've always had my lames done at NACs but I was wondering what the best way would be to do this at home? What kind of paint/dye do I need? Any best practices?

2. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Merg's book (Care and Feeding of All Things Fencing) has a section regarding how to do your own stenciling.

There have also been a number of threads related to stenciling over the years, some of which probably contain useful tips. Try using the search function.

3. yearsofwisdom

yearsofwisdom Rookie

Or you could even look at the bottom of this page for related threads.

4. brtech

brtech Podium

Of course, the best answer is "don't do that".

There are a lot of ways to go wrong, and when you do, you typically ruin the item. It costs $20 or so to get it done professionally. Why risk a much more expensive lame or knickers for $20?

Yes, you can patch a botched stencil job.

5. GypsyScot

GypsyScot DE Bracket

Use Rustoleum Metallic Spray Paint, it's conductive and it's what most if not all the vendors use.

6. brtech

brtech Podium

Marx, the best in the business in my opinion, does not use that as far as I can tell. I believe they use a standard ink dye designed for airbrushing, and they apply it with just the right thinners and just the right density to get a good visual impression without destroying the conductivity.

If you watch them, they use an airbrush for sure, not a spray can.

Fencing Post uses a standard fabric ink on an ink jet printer (or maybe it's dye sub, but ISTM it's ink jet). I can't recall for sure, but I think it's thermal transfer.

7. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

Success seems to vary widely for some jacket materials. I don't know if there's any one process that works for all of them.

8. TBean

TBean Podium

I honestly believe the best answer is - don't do it yourself. There are a multitude of ways to go wrong which would end up being way more costly than having it done by Marx - even if you had to ship it to them.

9. brtech

brtech Podium

AFAIK, Marx has only one blue airbrush "paint". They don't seem to change the "paint" for any material difference, including knickers/jackets and lames. I'm pretty sure they use less spray on the lame then on the knicker/jacket material.

10. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Not sure as to whether or not it is a paint or fabric dye. I use Krylon spray paint.

BTW, if you are using MS Word or PowerPoint to do the stencil, 1pt of font size ~ .01", so 200pt font ~ 2.0"

11. thekoby

thekoby Made the Cut

This is how I did my own stenciling:

Used Photoshop to pick a nice, large block font and set the rulers to display centimeters. Each letter is 9x9 (the section between the seams on my knickers were 9 cm and it fit well between the min. of 8 and the max of 10). I then set guides to each point that I needed; edge of the letters, centers of all the curves, and all the cutouts (like the inside of the O).

I then took the measurements and transfered them to a large sheet of poster board (some technical drawing experience would be needed for this part to make sure everything was square and evenly distributed). Using a very sharp hobby knife, I cut out the letters and the inner cut outs.

I set everything aside and used painters tape to outline where the name would go on my knickers and place a scrap piece of cardboard inside the leg to prevent paint from bleeding through. I used some spray adhesive, evenly coating the back side of the poster board and applied the board to the knickers, pressing firmly down. To prevent slipping, I tacked it down using T-tack pins. I set the cut outs using the same method and applied a light coating of Royal Blue Rustolium spray paint and let it dry completely, then added another light coat. Once that was completely dry, I removed everything and tossed the knickers in the washer to loosen up the paint. It worked beautifully and only cost me about $10 total and took roughly 5 hours (including letting the paint dry).

12. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Yeah, basically what I describe as the process for do-it-yourself stencilling.

13. EldRick

EldRick Podium

14. Forrest1

Forrest1 Rookie

Here is what I did for my team and it works great. Go to a sign store and ask for a paint mask (a type of stencil for sign painting) with the letters you want and the size of the letters-just under 4 inches high for USFA and FIE rules. You might need to adjust a bit depending on the length of teh word. I brought my jacket in to show them. They will make you a stencil with self sticking mylar (like Marxs Enterprises), for about 4 bucks. Take it home, and stick it on your jacket, peel off the backing and cut outs. Make sure all the remainder is well stuck down. Mask off the rest of your jacket to protect from over spray. Use regular blue Krylon, 3-4 light coats is enough. For lames I have found that there is no problem with conductivity; if there is you can sand lightly with fine sand paper after the paint dries, and the surface will be perfectly conductive without sacrificing color density. I did my whole team (15), for about $70 and a can of paint.

Zebra likes this.
  15. Zebra

Zebra Podium

We need a "DIY" folder here for these kinds of projects.

16. neevel

neevel Armorer

As an alternative to paint, you can use a fabric dye pen (that's dye, not fabric paint) to 'color in' after you have put the stencil in place. You can find them at any fabric or crafts store, or on Amazon.

17. brtech

brtech Podium

If you want to DIY, do it.

But please understand: we OFTEN reject DIY stenciling. We often reject stenciling done by a new vendor. The rules are not completely obvious, and many mistakes can be made. I wish the rules were clearer, but they aren't.

In the last two Junior Worlds, I had to sand dozens of brand new lames when the vendor put too much paint on them. Two years in a row!

18. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I HATE it when that happens....hence why I do not send stuff for stenciling out to someone who paints. The heat press is better in that regard.

19. posineg

posineg Made the Cut

Only if the transfer is a dye-sublimation, which is only good for Poly-fabrics. A normal "iron-on" transfer will cover up the lamé as well as paint.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  20. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

I checked a transfer that was used to cover an old country. It was like a piece of plastic over the lame. Needless to say it didn't pass. Sanding wasn't helping much either.