Name on Lame

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by sorindc, Dec 27, 2018.

1. sorindc

sorindc Rookie

I bought a lame a while back when I wasn't competing very seriously, and chose not to get my name printed on the back. Now that I compete more seriously, I feel that it would be helpful to have my name printed on it. Is it possible to get my name printed on it somehow without buying a new lame? I feel that it would be expensive to get a new lame when my current one works fine. Thanks.

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Most vendors can do that. When I sell one, I don't put the name on until I confirm the fit (unless it's replacing an existing one that DOES fit properly).

Are you in the US? If so, what state? We can refer you.

3. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

You can also have your name stenciled on a patch of lame fabric which can be sewn onto your existing lame, then transferred to its replacement.

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

If someone you know is planning on going to a NAC event, ask them to take your lame with them and have one of the vendors stencil your name onto it.

The alternative is to send your lame to a vendor. I recommend Marx Enterprises. Bob and Suzzane Marx have been involved in fencing since the 70's. In my opinion, they're the best.

5. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

Or just use a blue Sharpie. If you don't want to do it freehand, buy an alphabetic stencil.

6. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Never one to discourage doing it yourself. But unless the lame is on the verge of being junk or being replaced I'd suggest having it done professionally. Looks better and lasts longer. Just another opinion.

7. posineg

posineg Made the Cut

I have had sharpie act as an insulator on a Epee bell, not sure if the blue does the same as black but tossing it out there.

8. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

In the US, you only need your name on the lame at North American Cup (NAC) events and a stenciler is at all NACs. I'd suggest at the first NAC you attend to get your lame stenciled then. Before then you'd only be doing it for aesthetic purposes. If you must have your name on something sooner, you can alternatively have your name on your knickers, which could be done by any non-fencing specific stenciler.

Privateer likes this.
  9. jkormann

jkormann Podium

If you fence more than foil, get the knickers done.

Privateer likes this.
  10. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

Okay, just throwin' this out there. I'd mentioned using the acrylic paint before in some recent posts about lames and names, and I suppose I shall just put up some shots of what it looks like, picture being worth 1,000 words and all that jazz. I have put my names on my lames for years. Not too bad, and took about an hour. . Obviously, if your name is really long, well, might be too much of a project, but where they are maybe 6-10 characters. It is possible to do it and have it pass and look good, and last. The LP lame is about 2 years old, the other one just done for a fencer at club. lames.jpg

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

How's the conductivity over the lettering?

12. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

just fine..

13. brtech

brtech Podium

Armorers are used to seeing most DIY lettering fail one rule or another. I wish it were easier to explain all it takes to get the right thing to happen when you DIY, but it's just not possible. fenceart's work appears okay, but I would have to test conductivity and measure the letters with a ruler to be sure. There are so many ways to go wrong that we really discourage doing it yourself. Get a professional to do it. Even they screw up sometimes. Nearly every new lame on the Junior and Cadet team for the past two years was bad. We fixed them before controle saw them but it was ugly,

14. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Brian, I’m curious. What was wrong with the lames on the past Junior and Cadet teams? Excessive ink, wrong size, etc?

15. neevel

neevel Armorer

Tested with a meter, or just on a scoring set with a foil or sabre? That's one of the things that we often see go wrong with DIY lettering jobs brought to control- works on strip at club, but throws a double-digit resistance value when brought to control.

My usual recommendation for people looking to do a permanent DIY job is to get a fabric dye (not paint) pen- readily available at crafts stores or online. The dye will sink into the backing fabric without coating the surface like a paint will.

posineg likes this.
  16. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

I am curious about this as well, as Absolute provides all gear for team members (who sign contracts), so was Gary providing substandard lames?

17. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

well, none of my lames have ever not passed, NAC or international. just sayin....

18. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

And I only sent that because people asked, and I thought I'd share an idea. Just get it done when you go to an event with a person who puts names on and be done with it.

19. Privateer

Privateer Podium

i'd suggest knickers no matter what. lame is usually replaced far more often than knickers.

20. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

I am curious about this, as Absolute provides all gear for team members (who sign contracts), so was Gary providing substandard lames?