NAACP issues travel advisory for Missouri, and USFA has two major events in MO this season

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by ReadyFence, Aug 2, 2017.

1. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Both the November NAC and Summer Nationals are being held in Missouri, which is being heavily scrutinized for multiple cases civil rights violations (mostly against black people) and some recent "Jim Crow" style laws being passed. The NAACP has gone as far as to issue a government-style "travel advisory" for the state.

Thoughts?

2. RebelFencer

RebelFencer Podium

I doubt the USFA will change its schedule based on a non-Federal entity placing a travel advisory.

OrangeandStripey likes this.
  3. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Oh, I wouldn't expect them too. It's just the next indicated step, I suppose, after a couple of NACs in some of the most violent cities in the US. Bummer.

4. RebelFencer

RebelFencer Podium

Yeah. This is something I haven't had to think too hard about since I'm a white guy, but I would imagine there is the potential for three scenarios: 1) USFA ignores the situation 2) USFA doesn't accept bids from MO for the 2018-2019 season 3) If the travel advisory deters tourism/travel to MO, MO lowers the prices of its venues to compensate, and we have a whole bunch more national events there.

5. MHS Fencer

MHS Fencer DE Bracket

A number of years ago Greenville, SC was a common location for NACs. At the last event I can recall there, there were a number of complaints to the USFA after a few incidents that affected fencers (e.g. refusal of service at restaurants, possibly more I was not privy to). I'm proud that as an organization we have not been back since (to my knowledge), although I don't know how long it took from the first complaint.

jdude97 likes this.
  6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Wasn't it Greenville where USFA got the SN venue for FREE one year because so many other events pulled out and the city was desperate?

7. Emfuser

Emfuser Made the Cut

I've wondered about this since I moved down here in 03, not long after it happened. Greenville isn't exactly known as a fortress for racists that I know of.

8. bobb121

bobb121 DE Bracket

Read some articles about this, and it looks like it was issued because a senator has pending lawsuits against his business for discrimination. A lot of politicians are not voting on it because it represents corruption of power.

9. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

I don't remember going there more than once.

10. teacup

teacup Podium

Shouldn't all fencers feel equally safe and welcome at fencing venues?

11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

12. OrangeandStripey

OrangeandStripey Made the Cut

I love Branson. I think we should hold our events in Branson so we can be sure of some decent entertainment.

13. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

You would think so, yeah.

14. OrangeandStripey

Someone will always hate someone somewhere. There is NO state in the union where everyone feels safe. There is NO state in the union where racism, sexism, genderism, ageism,etc. doesn't exist. The best people can do is to continue to go fence and have fun. There will always be trials in life.

mpego1 likes this.
  15. teacup

teacup Podium

So do you think it would have been fine for USA Fencing to hold events in North Carolina even though businesses and other sports leagues, including the NCAA, boycotted North Carolina due to the bathroom laws?

16. RebelFencer

RebelFencer Podium

The USFA can do what they want. But if they book a place, hire all the refs, have all the equipment shipped, and then get a drastically lower turn out than expected due to location they will slowly debate learning to choose more wisely while raising membership fees.

OrangeandStripey likes this.
  17. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

True dat. Also loving that our favorite* NAC city of Baltimore couldn't go 48 hours without a murder...

* this is a lie

Black Widow and OrangeandStripey like this.
  18. OrangeandStripey

Yes, I'm a FENCER, heteronormative, job holding, dues paying fencer. Most of us are. While I sympathize with those who have whatever issue is at stake, I think the answer is that when the USFA takes over a venue, they designate a restroom as 'alternative/gender fluid' or whatever the verbage is.(I genuinely don't know as I'm not politically correct in the slightest)

The answer is NEVER to inconvenience the overwhelmingly larger population of people who aren't alternative out of some relatively speaking, meaningless sign of solidarity. We are fencers. We fence.

In an age of rising prices and an increasing base of varied peoples...someone will always be offended about something. We can't change competition venues just because of bathrooms or racial issues or whatever issue.

We can show up and be a better representation of what it means to be a human being in that community and defend our own from assault. We can do that as individuals. But we can't really ask the corporate body to go out of its way when price, availability and needing to provide a service for a large population of people are more germane to the quest of being a fencer.

Black Widow likes this.
  19. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

Would you have had a problem with the 1984 Olympics being in Cape Town?

20. RebelFencer

RebelFencer Podium

It depends. Would capes have been provided to athletes who did not currently own a cape?