Multiple bends in the tang for french grip epees.

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Philix, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Philix

Philix Rookie

Hi everyone! I'm thinking about building/putting together an epee with a "orthopedic" french grip from Harut that has a bend in the grip. I'm pretty sure I'll have to cant the blade but also bend the tang in the middle or something. Any tips for bending the tang in the middle? Thanks!

2. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Most people use a crescent wrench. Most people are wrong. Drill a 3/8" or so hole in a 2' long 2"x2" to make a bending stick:

That's to install one of my grips, but the process is the same for any bent grip. Match the bend and slide the grip on.

damianip, Philix and Goldgar like this.
  3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I use the Harut Grand Prix grips on my epees. My recommendation is take your time and use a bench vise. Follow the instructions that Harut provides online. The advice K O'N suggested are good ones.

Just be careful about getting the grip rotated onto the tang. It's really easy to make this mistake the first time.

I think there's about 4 bends that you'll need to do to get the grip on. Another recommendation is to chamfer the edges of the tang beforehand.

4. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

Do not adjust the bend with the grip on...it will break inside.
    And definitely chamfer the end so the threads don’t catch inside the grip.
    Then slide the grip on. If it jams up, take it off and adjust the bend.
    ... I confess, I find a crescent wrench completely acceptable.

5. damianip

damianip Podium

Great video and I really like the bending tool design.

6. enyapj18

enyapj18 Rookie

7. jkormann

jkormann Podium

8. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I believe this idea has been around for a long time. What you see nowadays are refinements of the original concept.

I have to say, for $16, the Absolute canting bar is hard to beat. I don't think I could buy a breaker bar, make the bits and pieces, weld it all together, and get it chrome plated for that price.

One of my numerous projects on my fencing to do list is to file a couple of deep "V" grooves into the jaws of my bench vise to rigidly hold a epee blade in place. That way, it's a little easier to put the side-to-side cant in the tang.

9. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Don't clamp the blade, clamp the tang. Much easier, and you can reproduce cant much more exactly.

EldRick likes this.
  10. dcchew

dcchew Podium

There are times where I have to adjust the cant on a existing assembled weapon. With the "V" grooves in the vise jaws, I can clamp an epee in a vise, remove the grip and then alter the cants without having to remove the guard and socket. The "V' grooves are especially handy when I need to change the side-to-side cant in the tang.