Moving to be closer to the club

Discussion in 'Parent's Corner' started by brianz, Apr 30, 2015.

1. brianz

brianz Rookie

This may be a silly question, has anyone here actually moved just to be closer to your kids fencing club? My son is a competitive fencer (Y12 and he LOVES it), and my younger daughter's coach just told us he wants to move her up to 2 days a week. I'm a recreational fencer myself and we all love the club. The dilemma is, we'll be at the club literally every day if there isn't a tournament and it's about 30 minutes each way. That's 7 hours of driving each week and often during rush hours.

Out of the blue, we've come across a nice property (5 minutes drive or he can go himself; and in one of the top school districts in the country). We're contemplating to put in an offer but we'll have to change school and we're a bit unprepared for this. I just want to see if anyone has actually been through a move because of fencing and can share your experience.

Thanks and appreciate your insight.

2. Blackwood

Blackwood DE Bracket

There are lots of things to consider when deciding if you are going to move. Saving 50 minutes of driving on most days is certainly something to put in the plus column. You should also consider drive time to any other places you often go to (work, shopping, other activities). And you should consider all the other things that you would usually consider when moving, like relative cost of housing, moving expenses, schools (you covered that), other amenities, the disruption of moving, and (of course) can you find somewhere you want to live.

So I don't think you are crazy to consider moving, but I think there is much more to consider than proximity to your current fencing club.

3. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

We are a bit further from our club than you, and I wish we had moved. In our case, moving would have made everything closer, not just fencing. However, there were also strong reasons not to, and we didn't. One thing to consider is that although kids can do schoolwork in the car, depending upon the work it may not be very efficient. Kids are ridiculously busy these days, and 7 hours a week is a lot of time for them, and for you, of course. Also, if you are that close you don't have to stick around if you don't want to, whereas when you are a half-hour away it may not be worth going home, so you might save a lot more than 7 hours, depending on how much you want to fence while your kids are there.

Either way, good luck.

4. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

Sounds like it fits for you. If you're closer to jobs/shopping/other stuff, seems like a win.

If we moved it would be one reason, not the reason. We are about 35 minutes away from almost everything, not just da club. We're at two nights a week and for two (soon to be three) fencers we stack classes and lesson into one night and open fencing into the other. The kids are homeschooled so either my wife schedules trips into town on those days and drops the spawn with me or I take the oldest to the office (I am lucky that he is mature enough; my workplace is flexible enough; and, lets be clear, I am in charge enough to pull that off) in the morning. It works for us now and we sometimes can add a third night of open fencing.

5. Privateer

Privateer Podium

my concern would be what happens if the kids quit? Sure they love it now. What happens when they turn 14 and don't love anything or decide they love something else? I went through that recently with my Y14 WF'ist. She decided everything else was more important than fencing, always made excuses to not go, so I made her choose and she chose to give it up.

I'd hate to change my whole life over an activity they might quit in 2 years, and suddenly you're stuck in some town with no family support mechanisms, friends, social outlets, whatever. not saying that's your situation, but those are the things I'd consider, and one of the main reasons the wife and I haven't moved out-of-state already.

6. Diesel

Diesel Made the Cut

We've contemplated it. Some things to consider if you move -

What if the club moves when their lease is up?

What if your coach changes clubs?

What if your fencer outgrows the coach and needs to consider other clubs?

What if your fencer stops fencing for any reason?

Our experience: The foil coach in our first club moved to another club about 40 min away. We were about 30 minutes from our second club for a few years and then the owner decided to move to a bigger space about 30 min from that location. Then we left the second club and our current club is over an hour away (while our youngest is training at a closer club). At this point our oldest child is 3 years from college. So, for us, moving just to be near our club would not have been a wise choice.

Moving to the "best school district" sounds like a great reason to move, but I wouldn't count on your club staying put.

Cheers,

7. brianz

brianz Rookie

Thank you all for your input. All things considered (e.g. school, distance to work, food, play, RE value), it's pretty much a wash. What we gained are a better house plus ~10 hours a week of time which is significant for everyone in this day and age. I definitely understand the risk of coaching and location change of the club or my kids lost of interest. If let's say fencing fell out of favor for whatever reasons, we likely won't regret moving to this town.

Anyway, we spent a lot of time discussing the pros and cons, and we've decided to take our time to plan this out better for a move in a year or 2 instead. As much as we love the house we saw and the location is great, we simply aren't prepared for any move right now and we're just not sure the added stress is something we can handle right now.

Thanks again for everyone's input and maybe I'll run into you in San Jose. ;-)