Microfilm digitization

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Ancientepee, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

There's also this 2005 article written by Jeremy Duns about Paul Anspach (the President of the FIE at the time) successfully resisting the attempt by SS Obergruppenf├╝hrer Reinhard Heydrich to take over control of the FIE during World War II.

Attached Files:

2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

That [Anspach article] was entirely too fascinating. That you for posting and holding onto it.

3. Robbenbaby

Robbenbaby Rookie

Thank you very much again! I'll be busy for some time to read the articles of the "Fechter-Zeitung". The results of the olympic games are available online at https://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/ , but I'm not aware of any complete list of the results of the world championships at all age groups. This would really interest me.

Just some comments on the Fechter-Zeitung: You mentioned in the first post, that it was the magazin of the german fencing federation which is not entirely true. Fechter-Zeitung was the magazin of the fencing division of the Deutscher Turner-Bund (=german gymnastics federation). Until 1934, german fencers were organized in two different federations: The Deutscher Turner-Bund had a lot more members but was focussed more on popular sports while the smaller Deutsche Fechter-Bund who represented Germany at FIE and had the most successful fencers and clubs. The Deutsche Fechter-Bund had its on magaznie called Fechtsport which is apparently not available in American libraries.

If I remember correctly, the topic of Heydrich's attempts to control the FIE is very well described in Bernd Bahro: Der SS-Sport (https://books.google.com/books?id=u...ved=0ahUKEwjMxcKwnLfdAhUELnwKHRwvBFEQ6AEIKDAAhttps://books.google.com/books?id=u...ved=0ahUKEwjMxcKwnLfdAhUELnwKHRwvBFEQ6AEIKDAA). Unfortunately, I'm living in the USA at the moment and left the book in Germany. But I could copy the important chapters when I'm back during Christmas, if you are interested (and your german is good enough to read academic texts).

4. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I have been a member of the group of Olympic historians who have been loading the data into the www.sports-reference.com site for about ten years. I'm their liaison for the sport of fencing. If you go to the bottom of the page, you'll see my name (George Masin) listed among the OlyMADMen members. We've sold the data to the IOC and it's being loaded into the Olympic Channel web site but the amount of data conversion that they have to do is so great that it will probably be six months before that part of their web site is made available to the general public. When the conversion is complete, the sports-reference web site will be shut down.

I have been maintaining some of the basic information about fencing that is on the sports-reference site in databases on my own computer to make research easier. About five years ago, I realized that at least 20% of the fencers who have won medals in the senior World Championships were also Olympians and so, separately from the group, I loaded the World Championship data on separate databases. For the last three years, I've been creating World Championship reports before each of the three World Championships (Junior/Cadet, Senior, and Veteran) and sending them to the FIE so that their PR people have the data available. Natalie Rodriguez of the FIE also sometimes asks me to create special reports to help them answer requests that they get.

I will email you my basic Olympic and World Championship reports.

5. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

My uncle was a member before escaping.

6. neevel

neevel Armorer

There are a small number of people about whom I can honestly say "Yes, that person unequivocally deserved the slow, painful death they had." Heydrich is one of them.

7. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

Slight tangent to this fascinating conversation: Does anyone have a complete digitized run off American Fencing and its predecessors? Andy Shaw has a scan, but it's too low- res to be OCR'd.

8. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Back around 2006, the USOC hired some summer interns and "donated" some of them to various NGBs. The USFA got one but with little or no advanced notice and it was for the summer when there was little to do (in those days) once the Summer Nationals were finished. Someone remembered that they had boxes with old copies of American Fencing in their storage room and so the intern was given the task of scanning them page-by-page.

Apparently the intern thought that this task was too boring and unimportant and did a very poor job of it. Many pages were just slapped on the scanning bed and are missing up to an inch of either the left or right margin. Some pages were scanned upside down. Some issues were missing, though whether that was because the USFA didn't have those issues or because the intern failed to scan them is unknown. The scans were not run through OCR. The scanning resolution was so low that most pictures are unusable.

I think that it was about two years later that I was doing some historical research and asked Carla if the USFA had certain issues. She sent me a CD with the issues that the intern had scanned. I made an inventory of what was on the CD, renamed the files to indicate which issue they contained, and located scans of the issues that were missing. I think that I managed to find all of the upside down pages and rotate them. I then ran all 292 issues through OCR which did a good job of recognizing the text that was visible but, of course, could do only a partial job on the pages with parts of the left or right columns missing. I also created a combined 787MB PDF containing all of the issues and have successfully been doing "finds" of it to locate fencers and so the OCR was, in fact, successful.

After I was done, I sent a CD with what I had done to the NO. They passed it on to Cindy Bent who was the editor of American Fencing. She sent me an email thanking me for what I had done and said that she would be shortly putting all of those issues up on the American Fencing web site. That was about 10 years ago.
    [crickets]

The magazine that preceded American Fencing was called "The Riposte". It was actually a set of mimeographed pages stapled together. It was first published (in 1936?) twice a month but by 1938 became a monthly but with some months being skipped. They had to stop publishing after the May 1942 issue because of paper rationing during WW II. Around 2009, I found out that the NY Public Library had about 20 of the paper issues bound together in a volume. I paid the NYPL to scan them and then broke them up into separate PDFs for each issue and OCRed them. Andy also had a few issues. About two years ago I found that the U of Illinois library had a few issues and paid to get a copy of them as well. So I now have 31 digitized issues of The Riposte. Some of the articles about fencing at that time are really interesting.

About two years ago I found out that Charlie Schmitter, the long-time fencing coach at Michigan State University, donated his extensive collection of fencing literature to the university's library when he died. He had started collecting in 1929 when he became the fencing coach at the University of Detroit. He became the head fencing coach at MSU in 1940, the year before the first NCAA fencing championships were held, and so the collection probably contains extensive info about the early history of collegiate fencing. I recall reading somewhere that the collection contains issues of The Riposte but haven't gotten around to researching this. Since he was involved with fencing well before the first issue was published, we may yet be able to assemble a complete digitized collection of The Riposte. If someone is interested in following up on this, here's a link to the MSU library's catalog entry: https://lib.msu.edu/spc/collections/fencing2/

Steve Khinoy and jdude97 like this.
  9. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Here are the issues of The Riposte that I have:
    upload_2018-9-19_17-19-11.png