Membership renewal

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Purple Fencer, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Ok....I'm fighting a bad cold and am not tracking things entirely well right now, but...

Renewing the membership. Already claimed my account...is the "coach" membership the same as the old "professional" one? It seems the closest but I'd like confirmation before spending the money.

2. dberke

dberke Podium

3. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

+CheckED is what you need to referee or otherwise be involved with tournaments and you don't need the coaches' insurance or whatever else USFA does for the coach members.

4. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Coach is the the new "professional" yes. But if you are not requiring the personal liability insurance, either because your club insurance covers you thoroughly, or you have a different private liability insurance that covers you thoroughly, then it would seem that you only need to have the +checked upgrade for the background check and safe sport training.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Looks like I'll need to call the NO today...with me coaching, vending, AND armoring, I seem to be falling into a crack or two.

6. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

If you are subject to SafeSport screening and training and are a COACH then there are 3 options:

* Coach Membership
    * Life Membership +Coach
    * Life Installment +Coach (note that this is currently only $20 more than Coach membership, and may be more cost-effective in the long run)

If you do not coach, there are 6 options:

* Competitive +CheckEd
    * Collegiate Competitive +CheckEd
    * Non-Competitive +CheckEd
    * Supporting +CheckEd
    * Life +CheckEd
    * Life Installment +CheckEd

7. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

Actually you are incorrect. Whether the club is a Full Member or an Affiliate Member, all of its coaches must have a Coach Membership, a Life Membership +Coach, or a Life Installment +Coach. While the Competitive+CheckEd may be sufficient for an individual to meet the SafeSport requirements, it does not meet the requirements for the club's membership.

8. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Is that written anywhere that you can cite for me? I would appreciate it.

I was specifically regurgitating the article: https://www.fencing.net/16568/us-fencing-answers-club-insurance-questions/

9. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

10. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Side note: What a hideously worded response in the FNet Q&A. The response starts with "no" and then proceeds to indicate why the answer is "yes."

B

11. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Yes, i see that. But that language is outdated and there is no longer a "Professional" membership in existence. The old professional membership has been split apart into a "Coach" membership, and the +checked upgrade. What i understand is that now, you only need the +checked upgrade to "have access to youth participants".

Having said that, it sure would be nice if they would correct all the language on all of the various "info" pages and documents when they change the structure of their membership types...

12. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

I think your latter cite is out of date, given the reference to Professional membership for volunteers.

13. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Further complicated by not currently offering +Coach and asking people who would normally opt for it to go with +CheckED for now.*

B

* No, no documentation. This was from a personal communication.

14. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

The +Coach offering (which, as Brad noted, is *STILL* not orderable) was a last-minute decision by the NO when it was pointed out that there are Life members who coach. While the current cost for +Coach is the same as for +CheckEd, there is no guarantee that it will remain the same. In fact, I expect it to go up to around $45 within a year or two.

I anticipate that there will eventually be a distinction in the liability insurance, in that a +CheckEd add-on won't cover a member for coaching activities, whereas the +Coach add-on would. This is only my theory, not anything definitive.

15. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

The list of the 3 valid membership classes for coaches and the 6 valid membership classes for other parties subject to SafeSport clearance was developed in conjunction with the Director of Member Services. It was included in the blast email to the membership on July 31.

16. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Bob Bodor got back to me....in my case, I need to go for regular Coach.

17. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

Life Installment +Coach is also a viable option. It's currently $140 versus $120 for Coach.

18. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Money issues at this time will probably keep me from the life route....maybe later.