Mask Cord Production

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by twisterfencing, May 29, 2018.

1. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Right now, I am making tons of mask cords for SN's

When I was done with (one) end, I looked down my production board and thought: that would make a cool photo!

Here is the photo if you wanted to see: Click Here , the photo is on our server and is safe,

Later
    Gary Spruill

Answer a few questions upfront: About 160 count, yes to flux on both ends.

Mac A. Bee likes this.
  2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Ooooo...pretty in an armorish way.

3. Zebra

Zebra Podium

You had me at "Mueller."
    Why not the copper clips? I find they're easier to solder to.

4. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Zebra,
    These mask cords I make have to meet all FIE rules. Silver clips, white wire or clear coating with silver wire.
    Yes, the Mueller 27C (copper) is easier to solder, but all I need is one kid to go overseas and gets told: "this clip is not silver"!
    I then would have a upset fencer and parent.
    This also falls under the same reason I do not make a "curly" one as well.
    Yes, I do know that other vendor's do sell them (not naming anyone), I don't, a quote from me: "not my pig, not my farm".

Just thought it was a cool photo.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Curious why you don't use the screw that comes with the Mueller 27...I prefer to have that mechanical connection along WITH the required solder one.

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Looks like an old-school telephone switchboard.

"Have I reached the party to whom I am speaking?"

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

One ringy-dingy....

8. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Cough, cough,,,,, cause I don't need it.
    It only gets in my way when soldering, so I take it out/off.

Also: I made a batch about 4 years ago. Left the screw in it, just soldered the wire on the side of the screw area.
    Had a customer that bought one, took it to weapon control and then,,,, the customer returns to the booth asking for their money back because the weapon control person told them that they saw no solder on it. I looked at the clip in question, noticed that it was such a good solder joint that you did not see a huge puddle of solder, yet the wire was not under the screw, on it's own, but again, no puddle there. OK, I said, screw coming out from now on so this never happens again.
    I did take that clip to the Head Tech (who I know - no I am not naming that person) showed it to them and they had a quick huddle and the Trainee that was failed under (parts fail, people do not fail items), was now better informed. It was a learning lesson. Good deal!
    Now days, when I make these, I intentionally put a tad extra solder puddle on the clip to insure it is very noticeable.
    Now: Weapon control folks, we have here in the USA are the best in the world! They are all my brother's and sister's! It just happened, that is all, but in my mind, I know it will never happen again.

Short answer: this is the reason I take out the screw on the clip.

Gary Spruill

Privateer likes this.
  9. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Looking at the photo from your comments: your right! It does look like it.
    Too funny - but true.

10. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

\

Which is why I run the wire to the top of the clip LP style....I avoid that issue.

11. Zebra

Zebra Podium

How durable is that? Especially on a mask cord that can get a lot of abuse.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  12. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Another good reason to use the copper--solder stands out in contrast to it.

13. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Where do the rules specify silver or chrome? m.27 and m.31 require the wire to be white or clear and not coiled, but they say nothing about the color or material of the clip, just that it be "robust" and meet the contact and resistance standards.

twisterfencing likes this.
  14. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I have yet to see a break on a properly soldered cord in that manner where the line to the clip pr the solder has been an issue....breaks at the crimp are FAR more common.

My issue with not using the screw is that if the solder joint breaks, you have an intermittent connection. My way, if the solder fails or even if the wire between the screw and the solder is cut, you still have a connection and a properly functioning cord.

I make a LOT few cords for my inventory than Gary does, of course, so I can afford the greater time it might take, both on the solder and the stacked heat shrink I use for strain relief.

I tend to buy the parts for body cords and make them myself , rather than buy a completed one (costs me a little less to do so). I use the spare cable from the A lone to make either mask cords or spare A lines.

15. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

So...No True Sn-Ag-Cu-Mn? ;)

Goldgar likes this.
  16. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Since when has the absence of a specific rule kept individuals from making up their own rules banning something simply because they haven't seen it before? - especially when that individual happens to be a member of the FIE executive committee or even the SEMI chair (who you would expect to know what the rules do and do not say).

17. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Not getting that one.

I DID have one of my mask cords come back with a rattle that bothered the fencer. The screw had worked loose and just needed to be cranked down. Because of the solder joint, there was no loss of function.

18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Type of solder. No True Scotsman fallacy.

It's always risky explaining a joke, but I have seen a wire soldered like that, to the top of the clip, and the whole solder pat had broken free and was just flapping there like a little cymbal. But you could say "Oh, well, but it wasn't properly soldered". Hence "No True Sn-Ag-Cu-Mn", which looks a little like "Scotsman". :)

Purple Fencer likes this.
  19. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Its in one of those goofey rules for the Olympics in the UK
    Wanted it to be more eye pleasing for the camera.

20. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Huh? That sounds like an urban legend to me, or maybe some overseas armorer throwing BS around because he wants to sound more important than he really is. m.27 and m.31 are specific about the wire color, so why would FIE put their clip color requirement (if any) in some annex and not in the rule?