Maitre Delmar Calvert

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by DangerMouse, Apr 16, 2019.

1. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

For those of you who knew Maitre Calvert, I received word that he passed away peacefully last week at the age of 94. He was truly a great person and I was fortunate enough to train with him for 6 years (more than 10 years after his "retirement"). He will be missed, but I know that his memory will live on in the hearts of many many people whose lives he has touched.

https://pamplinmedia.com/lor/48-new...-legion-to-fencing-master-?wallit_nosession=1

EldRick likes this.
  2. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

"Like" doesn't seem to be appropriate here. Thanks for posting this, though.

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

The internet norm of "like" certainly does not fit all situations. In this case, he lived an incredible life that was extraordinarily long considering his role with the French Foreign Legion, which was basically used as cannon fodder. I'm choosing to celebrate the impact he had on my life instead of mourning.

4. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Damn, what an amazing life he led. Thank you for posting.

It made me feel like I do almost every week when I read the obituary chosen for the back page of The Economist- wow, why didn't I know about him/her/that until after he/she/it was gone? My loss.

5. West Coast Archive

West Coast Archive Rookie

I've been trying to track him down for the last couple of days and then someone pointed me to this. I actually tried calling him today with a number I'd found. Does anyone know anything about a memorial service or anything else? I can't find an obituary.

6. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

The service has not been finalized that I have heard yet. Tentatively 4/27.

7. West Coast Archive

Thanks - I spoke with his caretaker yesterday. She confirmed the 27th and I asked for the details via email. Hoping to come up.

DangerMouse likes this.
  8. Malcolm Parry

Malcolm Parry Made the Cut

When you get details, please post so we in the local fencing community know where and when we can pay our respects. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  9. West Coast Archive

Saturday the 27th, Riverview Cemetery & Funeral Home, Macadam and Taylor's Ferry Rd from 2-4 pm.

10. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

Wow. As Heinlein would have said, "I am but an egg".

11. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I just heard that the date has been moved to July 20 to accommodate people coming from out of town.

12. West Coast Archive

NOOOOOOOO!!! I just booked my flight.

13. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

There's usually a 24 hour grace period in which you can cancel.

14. West Coast Archive

Did just that. It's on my calendar for July. That will give me some time to get word out to some folks I know who may not have heard that might also like to come.

DangerMouse likes this.
  15. GregoryRandis

GregoryRandis Rookie

My God! He was my fencing coach at Cal State L.A. in the mid 1970's. I took fencing for 4 years from him. He was a great coach, and a nice man. A stern task master. I loved his class. I remember him telling us a story from his time in the French Foreign Legion in South Africa where he witnessed and actual duel between two Legionaries. No one was killed as they stopped after "first blood" was shed. The point was that, while we see fencing as glamorous and exciting, that these men were scared they might die and sorry that they has let their pride and anger put them in this position. I also remember another time in 1976 when a member of the U.S. Olympic team flew out to L.A. for a coaching session before that competition and we all sat in the bleachers and and watched as the "Maestro" put the fellow through his paces. It was quite interesting to see him coach and to bout with someone at that level of skill. He taught me a lot and I have kept up my fencing now and then over the years. He will be missed. I am sure he has not coached for many years but he is a great loss to the sport.