LP Wireless System

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by rudd, Jul 28, 2015.

1. mfp

mfp Podium

Even if marked extremely well, some will walk off. Leon Paul should offer an upgrade option for a retractable wire leash on a spool to keep units on the strip.

2. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

Genius!

3. mtwieg2

mtwieg2 DE Bracket

It just occurred to me, do national armorers RFID tag all the gear?

4. Mergs

Mergs Podium

AFAIK, no. But then again we have gotten pretty territorial about who has access to our stuff. Not sure if you were referring to our personal gear or stuff that is checked. If the latter, then definitely no. Tape and stamps are much cheaper!

5. neevel

neevel Armorer

I think he meant the strip equipment, in which case the answer is still no. Losing reels and scoring boxes is not an issue; having a Tile affixed to every remote so that we could pull out a smartphone and track down whichever referee walked out of the venue with it in their pocket would be both useful and amusing (I'm imagining Ovy and Tim Hively surrounding someone at the hotel bar and saying "Sir, we're going to have to ask you to let us search your pockets.").

SJCFU#2 likes this.
  6. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Alex, is there a way to 'brand' or lock a wireless device to a group of scoring machines? This may help if all of the scoring machines were named 'USFencing' and the wireless were only linked to machines under that name. Make it costly to change them once branded if 'club', and allow personal wireless remotes to hook into any scoring machine. Club could be sold at a higher price point because of this security device.

7. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

We are looking at offering packs that are locked to a single base meaning if you steal or borrow them they will be useless. We will also laser etch them with a club name but there would be a charge for this.

Getting fencer packs to be locked to a range of bases would be more difficult but possible.

8. Mergs

Mergs Podium

I would think that if a club is buying a large number of the machines this would be a great feature just so they don't have to worry about the logistics of keeping track of which pack goes with which machine. OTH, as I think this through, how do you sync AND lock a pack to a machine.....hmm.

9. jkormann

jkormann Podium

The same way that computers are "locked" to a network. Lock the scoring machines and club fencer packs to the same network, either by name name or GUID/password combination.

Example, International Fencers Club brands all of their scoring machines "IFC". All of their club fencer packs are branded to work with IFC registered machines. A fencer can show up with their own fencer pack, synch with an IFC machine and still go fence at a US Fencing event.

The requirements should be straightforward: A Club Scoring Machine shall be registerable to a Club Name and provided GUID. Club Fencer Packs shall only synch for use with Club Scoring Machines that match a Club Name and provided GUID. Individual Fencer Packs shall synch for use with any Club Scoring Machine.

10. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

That is exactly what we are looking at doing, we had the exact same solution and I think it should cover everyones needs.

We will try to offer clubs for a small up charge laser engraving on packs and bases with a hardware lock. The only problem I can see is that if I am coach Dave who goes to several different venues I have packs locked to "dave" bases. BUT I then go to coach one night a week with "valley fencing" who have their own sets. If Dave brings his wireless sets to valley fencing they will be in two separate groups. Not a big deal and I can't see any way round it. As soon as you have multiple groups or sub sets it would be a nightmare to manage and explain to the end user.

11. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

done and working

Eledex and DangerMouse like this.
  12. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

Alex,

Do you have any updates about a tournament version that will be approved by the SEMI for tournament use?

13. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

The actual functionality of this club set is as good as the current STM set being used at FIE events. The only data I have to support this is anecdotal from fencers who have used both but they are convinced that it is more reliable.

We have not started working on a version of the base station with score and time yet but relatively speaking adding those elements is trivial.

There is no real official test protocol for wireless. The test protocol for wired systems involves measuring resistances which you simply can't do with wireless. I assume that in order to get approval I will have to run a number of events with wireless that have a SEMI member present to check that it operates correctly. In terms of timescales I am afraid that it is anyones guess.

14. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

Sounds good. Do you have an updated release date for the club set yet?

15. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

I have foil and epee out being used at a number of clubs now and is essentially ready for release. Sabre is coming together more slowly than I hoped.

I am afraid I still cant confirm a release data :( I appreciate that this is frustrating, believe me, it is for me too!

16. neevel

neevel Armorer

Since it's something completely new and since there don't appear to be any direct competitors threatening to beat you to market and establish a competing standard, you're probably better off getting it fully tested and debugged before release instead of taking the old General Motors approach and pushing it out the door 3/4 baked.

17. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Or the Microsoft approach...........just let folks yell at you about what's wrong and then inundate them with upgrades!

18. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

You will have to prove your system can't be spoofed or blocked. I designed European military secure microwave (wireless) systems and was an US air traffic control fixed (wired) and radio (wireless) telecommunications program manager.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  19. mtwieg2

mtwieg2 DE Bracket

"Can't be blocked" is basically impossible for a consumer product though. In your profession I'm betting the allowances on transmit power and bandwidth were at least a couple orders of magnitude apart.

If someone shows up to a NAC with a 100W jammer, then there's nothing to be done about it until they're caught.

20. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

What he said. You can block the radio link but at the same time all wi fi and bluetooth will go down. You would probably be able to find the location of the jammer with an app if you needed to. Ultimately there is no realistic was of preventing jamming of our signal.

Preventing spoofing is in place, it is a proprietary protocol and encrypted.