LP wireless box

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Touch88, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Touch88

Touch88 Rookie

2. Barry Paul

Barry Paul DE Bracket

Touch88 likes this.
  3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Mine's on order (over a week delayed through PostalForce, grrrrrr). I'll post a review once it arrives and I can beat it up.
    Robert's comment on the thread you reference 'sold' me to invest the $.

4. Barry Paul

Barry Paul DE Bracket

5. Touch88

Touch88 Rookie

Checked the article. Seems very attractive and ergonomic for the club! We host many competitions: kids, juniors and I wonder if anyone tried to run the whole competition with the system. Is it reliable enough and easy for people not used to. Should we wait for updates or possible to use right now? "wireless" club or at least couple pistes is my dream but we want everything to be up-to-date

6. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

I would love to not have to do wire maintenance for the strips. We are a 3 weapon club with a very active saber contingent though so until the next version comes out with support for saber we shall wait and see. Also an integrated clock and scoreboard would be nice.

7. neevel

neevel Armorer

As these become more popular, I strikes me that it might be worth the investment in Tiles to affix to the fencer packs, so as to better enable the Department of Guido and Vinnie to be dispatched after any units that walk away with fencers or refs. I've fantasized about doing this for the scoring box remotes at NACs, but the cost of Tiles relative to remotes is too high to make it worthwhile.

SJCFU#2 likes this.
  8. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

Tiles?

9. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Gav likes this.
  10. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

Thanks.

FWIW we've not had any issue with people walking off with the transceiver. The big issue is people (kids) leaving them switched on and the batteries dying in the middle of the next bout.

The addition of tiles strikes me as unnecessary but I get the idea and I don't think there's anything wrong with having them.

What occurred to me is that there's a couple of future directions this wireless tech could take:

1. Fencers buy their own transceivers (just like we buy our own bodywires). These get paired with the machines prior to the bout with the fencers wearing them constantly. Depending on how this is implemented this could make fencer change-over much faster.

2. Tournaments still provide the transceivers but the collection of them becomes part of the referees checklist. This is much more likely to me and negates the need for additional 3rd party stuff.

Privateer likes this.
  11. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Extra expense for the fencer, and another thing to check before coming to the event.
    If you mean one issued per fencer at the beginning of the event, that's an event limiting expense.
    If you mean after each bout the fencer needs to grab it and do the calibration, that's more fiscally practical. Imagine the delay in tracking down the fencer who walked off to use the restroom..

12. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

[QUOTE="jkormann, post: 1191015, member: 1618" Imagine the delay in tracking down the fencer who walked off to use the restroom..[/QUOTE]Similar to tracking down machine remotes.

Privateer likes this.
  13. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Another downside is that given our typical requirements, each fencer would probably have to have two receivers present with them at the strip. hahaha! And then there will always be that one fencer who forgot theirs... and then we'd have to give a yellow card if you present and the batteries are dead...

Gav likes this.
  14. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

Guys. You can't mitigate against people being either wilful or stupid.

Privateer likes this.
  15. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

I didn't say whether I was in favour just that I see this as one route down which we could go.

Talk about over thinking!

I meant the box at the piste. These wireless boxes come in a little case & there should be two transceivers (TWO!) in the case. You can't continue with the next bout until a fencer hands over the transceiver.

16. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Which means the referee has to intervene to take the transceiver from a Y12 who is having a meltdown on-strip after losing a DE.

17. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

Pretty much.

18. Barry Paul

Barry Paul DE Bracket

I think that usage/trial and error will end up dictating how the wireless is used at clubs, regional and national competitions. My vision is that the system will liberate and change fencing in ways which we have not yet imagined. I see no reason why a serious fencer who trains even once a week would not own his own transceiver just for the convenience of not swooping it every time he came on the piste to fence With a kit value of probably $1500 the transceiver cost would only represent 15% of his total fencing Kit.
    The F.I.E. are certainly hoping for a system in which the transceiver is part of a fencers personal kit.

Privateer and Gav like this.
  19. jkormann

jkormann Podium

From a high-level practicality point-of-view, I have a concern that LP will have one system, Negrini with another, Uhlmann with another, etc. Does the FIE plan to have a defined network wireless standard which needs to be implemented for interoperability? Since you are arguably first to market, you could drive the standard.

Gav likes this.
  20. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

Uh oh. Send it to the IEEE!

(I think an agreed standard from the FIE is sensible but the peeps at the FIE need to understand what having that standard means first. I'm sure it's possible though.)