LP moulded 2 pin plug

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by rudd, Oct 17, 2018.

1. rudd

rudd Podium

2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Gah, looks like something from Apple.

3. posineg

posineg Made the Cut

Looks nice but I can imagine that the kids who purchase this will manage to break the wire just before the strain relief. After being the armorer of our H.S. team for the past 8 years, most of the body cord breaks are in the wire before the plug-head.

4. rudd

rudd Podium

By that do you mean, looks good, expensive, works well until it doesn't?

5. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

Talking with the guys at Leon Paul they said their research showed most people didn’t fix body cords hence this design. I’m curious to see how it holds up. That is quite a bit of strain relief.

6. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Yup.
    Bold part is added, and reflects my observations.

7. neevel

neevel Armorer

Yep, when it does break you will need to cut off the molded plug and attach a standard clamshell-style plug. As posineg noted above, the failure mode for 2-prong plugs is primarily the wires breaking behind the clamshell, not corroding due to sweat or water getting into the plug. This has much better strain relief than most 2 prongs, but eventually will break. IMO, a better approach would be to make a long (~3-4 cm) tapering plastic or rubber strain-relief tail that would slide over the wire and fit into the end of the clamshell plug- you would get the benefit of strain relief while still have a fixable plug.

8. neevel

neevel Armorer

One of the LP folks stated on the UK Fencing Forum that there is a new user-serviceable plug in the works that will be sold alongside the molded one.

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Excuse me??? Did they talk to actual armorers and see HOW MANY cord repairs we do??

Horrible thought process there.

10. Zebra

Zebra Podium

I don't doubt you, but never underestimate the ability of an impatient Y14 to pull on the wrong part of the cord and defeat the strain relief.

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Fixed that....trust me.

12. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

You forgot "costs 3 times as much as all of the alternatives".

13. brtech

brtech Podium

It has the spinning cage style pins. They tend to corrode around the central fixed pin. If you don't spin them regularly until they spin freely, they will eventually stop spinning, and then you get an intermittent contact. These are probably a good quality leaf, but sometimes the leaves break because they are so small. Like all of the pins with leaves, they collapse. It's harder to bend this style out without breaking the leaves, but it tends to happen less frequently than the four leaf fixed style.

14. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

When we surveyed our customers the consensus was that they didn't repair wires and that if given the option of a wire that lasted longer but couldn't be repaired and one that could be repaired but failed sooner 85% took the former.

I am sure that number does not tally with the users here who tend to be much more knowledgeable and prepared to fix things.

We decided that we needed to service both markets because that's how we roll :).

The plan is that we will offer sealed units and repairable units to suit customers needs.

The best strain relief ever on any commercially available bodycord I believe is the LP bayonet. this is the gold standard, with our three pin close behind. The reality is that with proper strain relief they last a very long time.

The two pin overmolded we have sold for about a year now and have had AFAIK no complaints.

The two pin user repairable is in the pipeline and we aim to combine the hard shell of the standard two pin with the flexible strain relief of the LP soft rubber plugs. We are adding some nice new features that will make the new two pin much easier to work with. Sample parts are on test now in the LP fencing centre and with some top athletes.

:)

15. brtech

brtech Podium

One of my favorite quotes from a parent who I saw throwing away body cords was "You mean you can fix these?" He didn't know. Clearly, we are biased here, but I'm still surprised at that 85% figure, but oh well. Certainly agree that the strain relief on the LP bayonet is the best, by far.

16. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

if you are interested in things that are coming up then it is worth subscribing to our instagram.

There are lots of little titbits on there that I snap on my way around the factory. These work well on instagram but not so well on facebook or other media.

We have had pictures recently of our reel replacement wireless system and other items in development.

In fact the very strain relief we are talking about in this thread is in the latest post:

https://www.instagram.com/leonpaullondon/?hl=en

17. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

18. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium