LP ExoSkin 800N sabre gloves...differences?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Purple Fencer, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

So...in preparation for the new sabre glove rule, I'm buying a sample of an FIE glove from each of my vendors to decide which brand I want to offer to my clients.

LP has 2 models listed...the ExoSkin 800 and the ExoSkin 800 classic cuff.

Aside from some very minor construction details and differing lame materials, does anyone know the actual diff between the two?

The only difference in the ad copy is a reference to FIE testing for the version with the ultralight lame material. Presumably that means that the classic version is the older one and that the other one is the FIE approved, but I'd like confirmation, as there's nothing on the website to give a clue, and I don't really feel like buying both gloves.

The FIE list of approved gloves only mentions the manufacturers, not the model of glove (if any).

From the June 30, 2015 document:

Absolut Fencing
    Allstar (avec et sans manchette électrique)
    Carmimari
    FWF
    Leon Paul
    Negrini (avec et sans manchette électrique)
    PBT (avec et sans manchette électrique)
    Planete Escrime
    Prieur Sports
    Uhlmann (avec et sans manchette électrique)

After looking at a translation, "avec et sans manchette électrique" means "with and without electric cuff."

I believe Blue Gauntlet has a glove that is still in evaluation.

2. David Sierra

David Sierra DE Bracket

Absolute has ones with and without electric cuff. I have one without and it has the proper shield on the label.

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah...I tried one on at nationals. Felt a bit tight on my hand, but I don't have enough experience with the gloves to tell if that's normal for Dyneema, nor if it'll stretch out a little.

4. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

I wouldn't count on it stretching too much - I would think that any stretch would probably have to come from the weave of the fabric, given the high modulus of elasticity of the fiber fiber itself (ropes made from UHMW-PE are often used as a lightweight alternative to high strength steel wire rope).

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I was kinda figuring as much. Stretching would probably compromise the protective ability of the material.

Any idea on the original question?

6. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Have you considered asking LP?

B

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Sure....but I was hoping to get some sort of answer here, as I'd like to have the glove in hand by Friday. Our scholastic league meets Saturday and I wanted to show the gloves around while we discuss adopting them. I've already ordered an Allstar and Uhlmann from Fencing Post, but it only takes a day to get to me once UPS picks the package up. Ordering from Absolute, BG, or LPUSA takes a week to get to me via ground.

I'd kinda like to get all the orders in because my wife has a doctors appt tomorrow that I have to drive her to, and if it drags on, I'll miss the shipping window...the gloves are not so cheap that I want to add on 3 day shipping on top of the unit price.

Give me some credit for understanding transit times when I'm ordering from my vendors.

8. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

I'm a noob so my input is worth what you're paying for it, but I have the LP ultralight lame cuff one. The copy on LP USA says "...is currently being tested by the FIE...," but I would swear mine has the FIE approval (is homologation the right word?) label inside. If I can get by the club after work I will look.

9. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

Sam,

Just an FYI. I have just about every FIE Glove on the list. I am only missing the LP and the Planet Escrime/Prieur

Planete Escrime & Prieur Sports use the same glove just a different tag. I have also discussed these gloves with people in France and they don't really care for those gloves or the uhlmann/allstar.

10. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

You are considering selling gloves with lamé material. Now, I am sure that at FIE competition that wouldn't be a problem. But considering what some 'National armorers' have said on fencing.net, when the lamé wears out, it is trash.

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I'm ALSO considering selling the FIE gloves withOUT the lame cuff, as a manchette is still allowed, even internationally. In fact, I'd prefer to sell the non-cuffed ones simply because it's cheaper to replace a dead manchette than a dead glove.

I don't really like some of the ones with the integrated cuff because the cuff is sometimes a bit short.

However, I also bought more Live Spot, so a dead manchette can be fixed presuming the dead spot's not too large.

I ended up buying the regular ExoSkin simply because of the implication that it's the more recent version.

I also bought the non-cuffed Uhlmann, Allstar, and Absolute, as well as the PbT with the cuff. They should all be to me in time to show them around at the scholastic league meeting this weekend. I'll keep one of them for myself.

12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I'm ALSO considering selling the FIE gloves withOUT the lame cuff, as a manchette is still allowed, even internationally. In fact, I'd prefer to sell the non-cuffed ones simply because it's cheaper to replace a dead manchette than a dead glove.

I don't really like some of the ones with the integrated cuff because the cuff is sometimes a bit short.

However, I also bought more Live Spot, so a dead manchette can be fixed presuming the dead spot's not too large.

I ended up buying the regular ExoSkin simply because of the implication that it's the more recent version.

I also bought the non-cuffed Uhlmann, Allstar, and Absolute, as well as the PbT with the cuff. They should all be to me in time to show them around at the scholastic league meeting this weekend. I'll keep one of them for myself.

13. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

Bigger question than the French translation is how do fence Sabre without an electric cuff?
    Isn't that cheating??!!

14. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

/------I also bought the non-cuffed Uhlmann, Allstar, and Absolute, as well as the PbT with the cuff. They should all be to me in time to show them around at the scholastic league meeting this weekend. I'll keep one of them for myself.------

Jeez, lots of gloves, might take you a long time to trash all of them.....
    Maybe you have some in size 7.5....... :)

15. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The rules allow for a separate cuff...that's the manchette.

16. Belegur

Belegur Made the Cut

Since you're looking at one from each manufacturer, I have to say that the Absolute 3-weapon 800n glove isn't really suitable for 3 weapons. It's got a whole set of raised rubber dots (on the blue parts) that just serve to remove any grip on a hard surface. Forget it if you use a pistol grip in either epee or foil. The only times I'd recommend it is if you have a rubber or leather grip in either epee or sabre (or any surface that has a bit of give in it).

It may be a common characteristic of 800n gloves, but the ones I've got (LP and Absolute) are rather bulky. You could almost go up one grip size when using them.

17. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

I looked in mine tonight (the ultralight lame model). It has the brand name/FIE tag in it. The date is 2012.

18. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

That is very interesting. I wonder how they got FIE approval 3 years before the rule even existed!

19. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Probably done in anticipation of said rule so they could get a jump on the other makers.

20. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

How do you get FIE approval before the rule change? You need that before you can manufacture.