Losing ratings

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Asibov Sobelo, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Asibov Sobelo

Asibov Sobelo Made the Cut

At what point do you lose your rating and what does it change to? For example, if a fencer was a B2014 last season, are they still a B14? At what point do they lose their B and what does it become?

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

"Athletes Handbook" '17-.'18: "*2.2.4 How long is a classification valid?* Classifications are valid for four seasons after they are earned. If, after four seasons, the classification has not been re-earned, it then reverts to the next lowest letter and the then current year. Such change will be effective at the beginning of the new fencing season – August 1. For example, if you earned a B in 2009 (B09) and did not re-earn your B for four more years, your B became a C13 on August 1, 2013. If you then did not re-earn your C13 for four more years, it becomes a D17 on August 1, 2017."

tbryan and jdude97 like this.
  3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Which is REALLY irritating if your opponent once held an A, but is now the best D in the room.

4. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Someone once told me that ratings used to roll off every 2 years, possibly as recently as the 1990's. Can anyone confirm/deny this or speak more to the history of USFA classifications?

5. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

For a definitive answer you might try asking Ancientepee, who has had been involved with the rating system for decades. However I don't recall the year even being included as part of a rating until sometime in the late 80's or early 90's (prior to that it was merely a letter, and D and E ratings were still relatively new).

6. neevel

neevel Armorer

It's been 4 years every since I've been fencing (31 years now). It did used to be that classifications did not expire, but there was an "XA" (i.e., ex-A) for A classified fencers who had formally retired from regular competition. The 4 year decay came in the early 1980's, along with D and E classifications; previously there had been only A,B, and C classifications.

7. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

jdude97, you might be confusing us with Canada, which (when I had a Candian rating back in the 90s) would expire in two years. That was some time ago, and I don't know how their ratings are structured currently.

8. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I'm just quoting what a former US nationally competing fencer in the 1990s told me (so no relation to Canada). Glad to learn the true facts. Thanks, all.

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

When did you stop earning a rating 2 below yours? I remember A foilists being Cs in saber and epee

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  10. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

I believe 1999 was the last year classifications in the off weapons were awarded. This was done in connection with the change from Open NACs to Division I NACs.

B

11. tbryan

tbryan Podium

For those who haven't found it, yet, the current USA Fencing Athlete Handbook is available at https://www.usafencing.org/athlete-handbook.

In case it wasn't clear from Mac A. Bee's reply / the handbook, any fencer who still had a B14 at the end of July became a C18 on Aug 1, 2018.