Looking to buy/for donations for a school club.

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by Joseph, May 8, 2019.

1. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

Hello there, I am Joseph, and I run a High-School fencing club in Lawton, Oklahoma. The club is a part of my high-school, and has been here since the 90's, so as you can possibly assume, we're in a bit of trouble. A number our jackets are trashed (some tattered to a point that it's worrying, some patched up, some have holes forming and some are missing zippers or some teeth). Most of our gear have odd yellow stains on them, or various makeup stains on the gear, and our masks are...a tad rancid, to say the least. Our practice blades are all starting to snap (except for our 1999 sabre, funnily enough), and our electric gear is being up-kept with glue and wires likely older than I am. We've got maybe 3 or 4 gloves that have absolutely no holes in them, and the rest either have holes forming, fingertips wearing extremely thing, or a mixture of the two.
    If any of you would be able to help me out, it would be amazingly appreciated. I can supply pictures of everything tomorrow if you'd like, to prove I'm worth my salt. If anybody has jackets that they were going to give away or sell, we'd be more than happy to either take them off your hands or buy them, depending on the prices. The same goes for masks, gloves, and just about anything else you would be willing to help with. Thank you for reading this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Edit: Added Pictures from armory
    ~Joseph

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I'm looking at WS Fencing for a bulk order of gloves pretty soon, but their prices are rock bottom for all kinds of stuff. If you need a bunch of masks, jackets, etc, you might want to email them and ask for the catalog and price list: [email protected]

If you need some epees shoot me a PM. I've got a bunch of bells and grips I'm never going to use, if you pick up some cheap blades I can put a dozen or so complete epees together for you.

Strytllr likes this.
  3. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

I've contacted WS, and wow! The prices are dirt cheap, and I'm really hoping this isn't a cut case of "you get what you pay for". I've heard of their prices and my main concern was quality, especially for gloves. (We've got an order of 10 coming in from BG, they seemingly are better quality than AF $11 gloves)

4. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

I order from WS fencing from time to time as well. my orders from them, even with shipping from China, are about 50% as much as BG or Absolute. Some of their equipment is a little below par for durability, but $2.50 gloves are worth it. And their jackets are fairly decent, all things considered.

5. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

The only thing i hate about their gloves is that the velcro tends to wear out quickly. but for club use, they work really good.

6. K O'N

K O'N Podium

All the economy stuff at BG or Absolute is made in China (or for gloves, Pakistan) anyway, it's just a matter of finding the price/quality level you're happy with.

Regarding velcro, I think if you're going to run a club on a budget you have to have a sewing machine and at least know how to repair small holes, sew on new velcro and elastic, and replace straps. Bonus if you can do zippers, but that can be tricky. But really, unless you're rich you can't be throwing away gloves because they need new velcro.

Strytllr likes this.
  7. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

I might have a few uniforms for you (350n) if you’re interested, in a few weeks.

8. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

I'm more than interested, should be uploading some pictures soon from out clubs armory

9. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

as an another option... you could always reach out to Bob Bodor at the national office and see if there is some kind of "grant" or something they might be able to do to help. I would suggest putting together a fairly well written page with your school club's history, your current financial situation, your membership and their interest in competitive fencing. Include a concise break down of what you need and how you'll use the money or equipment that you hope they can send you...

It's not a sure thing. I haven't seen the NO do grant money in ages...but it's always worth a try.

K O'N likes this.
  10. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

I reached out not too long ago, and still haven't gotten a reply from him. Last email was on the 7th.

11. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

that's too bad. i thought it might be a long shot. you haven't specified size ranges for jackets, etc. is there a minimum your club is interested in?

12. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Set-up a gofundme or similar and post the link here. I'm sure you'll get some funds.
    Check with the school first, to make sure it's Ok.

13. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

We still have a relatively high turnout. I'll be closing this thread soon enough so I can go ahead and get pictures of our club at practice to show that the gear we make do with. (16 or so kids in total, and 12 that actively fence overall)

Except for the GoFundMe, this all has to happen next semester, so I can properly get pictures of the club in full. (semester and state testing, many people won't be going to practices, along with summer break)

The size ranges for jackets, we all tend to run on the more skinny/muscular end of the spectrum, but there's a few that need childs gear because of their frame. We average at '5"6 for height. With amounts, any new jacket is an old one we can replace, as there's some patch and sew jobs that I don't particularly like. They may be done correctly, but I dislike that the integrity of the jacket itself is weaker and more prone to getting holes elsewhere.

14. Finnegan79

Finnegan79 Rookie

Triplette is having a "club sale". they are clearing out old stock. check their FB page. I picked up a set of whites for 45, 25 for the jacket/20 for the knickers.

15. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

Sadly, this option isn't allowed, due to some weird rules. I thought of setting up one for "myself", but the legality of such is questionable at best and I prefer not to get in trouble with the law.

16. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Joseph, is this a public high school team or club? If so, clubs and teams do fundraisers all the time, and take donations all the time. Talk to your principal or coach or sponsor about how to raise money for your group. I'm sure Oklahoma has a way for teams/clubs to raise money and take donations, you just have to find out what it is.

17. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

Yeah, thsi is a public high-school team. We've asked our principal and he said that fundraisers are ineffective due to just barely making back profits from the original cost. Hopefully soon enough we'll have it figured out, as I'll have about an hour free witb our sponsor to talk things over about this.

18. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Donations (gofundme, etc) have no outgoing costs other than sending the link to others.

19. Joseph

Joseph Rookie

It's not the outgoing that's the issue, it's the use of a third party to get those funds (at least, I think is what the issue was). It's the fact that gofundme and other services take a cut of all the funds, is why the school won't allow it to any capacity.

20. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Heh. Well, you're trying to convince Joseph, when really, it's just that his principal has basically said no. Not much a bunch of internet strangers are going to do for that.