Looking for vintage barbed epee tip

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by Pavel M., Nov 21, 2017.

1. Pavel M.

Pavel M. Rookie

Gentlemen, i would strongly appreciated if someone could offer me such a piece for personal humble collection for fair price. Freight in Czech Republic needed, i will pay on your account in advance. Thank you so much for any response.

https://files.fm/u/x55qqqdd#/view/item.jpg

2. K O'N

K O'N Podium

What you're looking for is called a point d'arrêt. If you want one like you've pictured, a point d'arrêt tip that fits in an electric barrel, I wish you good luck. They're extremely rare. I've never seen one in real life, only in pictures. They were only made like that for a few years, if that was ever the competitive shape. It may be that the pictures we've seen were only prototypes or one-off tips made for some hybrid of classical and electric fencing.

You can buy a traditional lashed-on point d'arrêt, or a screw-on version that fits on an electric epee blade, from American Fencer's Supply:

http://www.amfence.com/html/class_parts.html

The screw on version is not the same as your picture. It replaces the entire barrel and tip.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  3. neevel

neevel Armorer

I don't think Matthew has American Fencers Supply back up and running from the fire as of yet, and whatever pre-fire stock that's listed on the website is now ashes and slag in a landfill.

Rockwell Classical Fencing sells a lash-on Point d'Arret, intended to be used with a non-electric blade:
    http://www.rockwellclassicalfencing.com/point-d39arr39.html

This is, of course, assuming Pavel is just looking for a Point d'Arret to use, and not an actual antique for the historical interest.

4. Pavel M.

Pavel M. Rookie

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your comments, however i do not want newly produced point d´arret (stuff like on your photo is even producible by myself i suppose), much better i wish to have original old one. By the way, here i attach another photo with three more types of old points (photo came from same collection of one famous pre-WW2 fencer here in Czech Republic, unfortunately all his stuff was thrashed after he passed) - maybe somebody would really know about some source. Am prepared to buy any of these types. Have a good time and thanks for any other ideas!

Attached Files:

5. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Those certainly wouldn't be legal today and I wonder if they ever would have been?

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Of course they were. Before electric scoring those were how epeeists marked their victims. ( In rather the same way that skunks mark theirs. ;) )

7. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Inq, Only if you looked before you spoke. Those "appear" to be electric tips. 'course a sabreur isn't expected to be able to discern the fine details pointed weapons. ;)

8. neevel

neevel Armorer

Ah, you're looking for old '30s vintage electric epee points (for those who don't know, the very first electric epee points had the tip shaped to resemble a Point d'Arret, before transitioning to first the 'beehive' tip and finally the flat tip we use today). Your best bet will be to patiently watch Ebay, I'm afraid.

Grey Sabreur likes this.