long jacket question

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by fencer-dad-of-fencer, May 10, 2018.

1. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

My current jacket is an LP Apex in a long size, which I need.

I like the jacket a lot, but it isn't that old and a bunch of the non-protective fabric parts have deteriorated severely--the crotch strap started fraying almost immediately and is now gone, and the zipper fabric is so frayed that zipping the jacket is very difficult.

So I have two questions:

1) Was I just unlucky with this jacket and so should just buy another?
    2) Is there a good alternative that I can get within five weeks or so? Last time the LP took literally three months.

2. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

I don't know about about a replacement, but I would try to deal with the fraying before the fabric is gone by covering the weak seams with fabric or seam glue. Sometimes they can be cleaned up afterwards by melting the frayed ends with heat. Otherwise, once the fabric holding the zipper is frayed away, it will separate and it will be difficult to attach a new one.
    Attaching a new crotch strap should be simple enough.

3. Don Treanor

Don Treanor Rookie

In our disposable society repair shops are hard to come by but, I've had a zipper and a strap replaced at the local luggage/shoe repair store. They will need to do a quality job on the zipper so you don't fail safety checks with skipped stiches or badly sewn seams but our local shop does a really good job. Not sure where you are and if you can find one.
    If you don't have a local luggage repair shop, might try an upholstery shop. The crotch strap can usually be replaced using a home sewing machine but the odds of replacing a zipper and getting all the seams to pass safety checks using a home machine is slim to none.

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

How do you launder your jacket? Cold water? Line dry?

5. fencer-dad-of-fencer

Cold water yes, line dry no. I would rarely have a dry uniform I didn't use a dryer. My previous jacket was washed and dried more, and had no similar problem. Maybe I was just lucky.

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

You must live in a really humid region. :(

Mine, I wash it, I lay it on top of the washing machine still damp, 3 hours later it's dry. Plastron dries even faster.

7. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

I don't understand that advantage over unzipped, plastic hanger-drying .

8. jkormann

jkormann Podium

It can stretch the wet fabric, especially cotton. I have a drying rack that I lay things out on so they dry evenly.

9. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Fencer Dad,

crotch strap, aka: cousard, they sell that material at Walmart. Get a yard of it for about $2
    Take the jacket to your local dry cleaners. Ask them to replace the zipper with a nylon YKK zipper and sew on the crotch strap material, they will know what kind of zipper this is and what to do. May take a day or so, but worth it.
    Reason for the nylon one? Sweat! Sweat is a cotton killer,
    That jacket you got is a good one. Yes, I could tell you its time to replace it, but not that kind of person on this end. Spend $20, get it fixed and call it a day.

10. Zebra

Zebra Podium

I think you mean croissard, as in: "Please tighten up your croissard before your first bout: I don't want it to catch a blade."

11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Perhaps you mean croissant, as in: "Please don't throw that fancy French flamagel at me". ;)

( NB I think it's 'cuissard', despite that translating as 'shorts'. 'Croissard' yields no translation at all that I can find. )

VorpalCat and twisterfencing like this.
  12. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Inquartata, Zebra
    I tried to spell phonically, did a pee pee pore job of it. :)
    OK, its called a croissard, the little stringy thing that goes between your legs to hold everything down and in place. Make it tight to look good!!

I do know this, I have to replace at least 40 to 50 of these each NAC. And,, no I do not do zippers. Not touching them, nope, no way!

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  13. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I still cannot find "croissard" in any French dictionary or online translator...

14. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Made the Cut

One of my club mates had no problem having a zipper replaced on an Uhlmann Olympia jacket - just find a good tailor/dry cleaner with alterations to do it. They should be able to do the cross strap as well - which is a really cheap fix. I think the zipper repair was done in 2 or 3 days for him.

15. fencer-dad-of-fencer

Thanks for the advice. It has been very helpful. I think what I will do is get another jacket, and then try to get this one fixed. Then I can rotate the jackets and probably avoid having to use the dryer to dry them.