Light weight epee?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Nakita, May 14, 2018.

1. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

is there such a thing as a light weight epee?
    I love foil but where I live the competitions usually have like 3 or 4 people in them.
    I do fence in the mixed ones with the young men(oh yea, old men too)
    But to compete against just women it seems that only epee has a lot a women, actually girls.
    At any rate I bought the bottom of the line Epees from either(possibly) Blue Gauntlet or Absolute.
    Everyone tells me they are 'heavy,.
    So is it better to have light Epees?
    And what can I do or buy to get lighter ones?
    Any thoughts ?
    Thanks

2. keropie

keropie Podium

It's 'better' if you like it better/perform better/whatever. For many foilists, I'd expect them to like a lighter epee (I expect I would, for instance; instead, I just don't fence epee, because I'm really bad at it).
    There are certainly lighter components, but they have tradeoffs (cost, feel for some people, may not be as easy to control against hard beats, etc.). The new Esprit epee blade is supposed to be very light, but again very costly. Here are some previous threads:

https://www.fencing.net/forums/posts/1182839/
    https://www.fencing.net/forums/posts/1179210/

Nakita likes this.
  3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

4. EldRick

EldRick Podium

It's not just about the blade.
    Lighter guards, grips, pommels (French grip), and sockets can all reduce the weight of an epee by several ounces.

5. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

I like the Leon Paul blade and tip.
    Not cheap but not crazy expensive.
    So then bringing the wright back into the hand or the pommel might help it feel lighter?
    I'm a slow person, not so much mentally but physically. Always have been. Even when I was young.:(
    I was thinking a lighter weapon might help my speed.
    Any thoughts?

6. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

That was helpful and interesting.
    I was looking at the Harut grips already.
    I hadn't seen the FWF bell guard. It sounds nice. Not as nice as the colored ones but nice.
    I never even thought about lightweight tips/barrels or electrical connectors.

7. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Develop your fencing skills first. A novice fencer won't benefit as much from a lightweight custom epee as much as a experienced fencer would.

If you want to go down that rabbit hole of lightweight epees, I would first standardize on the basic epee before delving into a high end ultra light epee. Find the grip and blade stiffness you like first. Look for the general balance and feel of the epee first.

Harut French grips are really nice, but expensive. FWF Titanium ultra light guards tend to dent easily, a Schermasport guard is slightly heavier and more durable, but a bit more expensive. LP titanium point barrels are nice, but also expensive too.

Be careful, you can spend $250 on parts for a custom epee.

Nakita likes this.
  8. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

I have dents in my heavy dawg bottom of the line guard from absolute:D
    How about if I use my Harut saber grips?
    Kidding.
    I'm just thinking about working up to a lighter weapon. A part here and there.
    If I spent $250.00 on one weapon. That would be the weapon I would somehow manage to break on the first touch in the first practice session after unwrapping it.