Lexan Masks: Turnaround

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Cyranox11, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Cyranox11

Cyranox11 Rookie

So, just thought I would add my 2 cents to the debate: when I heard that Lexan Masks were compulsory I was VERY unhappy: I raged against the FIE as I said they were too unsafe too expensive etc...
    Then I went to Worlds and HAD to buy a Lexan Mask. Having used one, I can now say that I beleive them to be safer than mesh masks: (they seem to take a hit better and I think the Lexan is actually stronger than the mesh...)
    Also, now that I have used one, I am a huge fan: the increased visibility is great and I have now bought a fol/epee Lexan mask to go with my sabre mask...
    Everyone who I have spoken to re this issue has felt the same way they are in fact an improvement!!!

Alain and downunder like this.
  2. downunder

downunder Podium

thank you sir

3. ReverseLunge

ReverseLunge Rookie

Ok. The problem is this: Poeple look [bad] in a Lexonic mask or whatever you call that [deleted]. When you fence you are not looking into the camera and you aren't really focused on a fixed spot. Your eyes look kind of like you're high on something. Ok?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2005
  4. swordsen

swordsen Rookie

And your perception of appearance matters why? I was wondering how long it would be before someone who likes the things would show up and tell us why. thanks Cyranox.

5. ReverseLunge

ReverseLunge Rookie

come on man...
    what the hell is wrong with you? Fencing is all about looking good while you f up your opponent. The lexicinica mask makes you look like you are some kind of a retarded cross-eyed rapist. How cool would Darth Vader be if you could see his nerdy eyes though his mask?

6. chiz

chiz Rookie

Mirror

RL
    Just add a lightly silvered reflective surface to the backside of the lexan. The spookey part of Darth was a combination of dark and mirror? How cool would it be to see yourself being attacked by you?

Chiz

7. BoutAfrica

BoutAfrica Rookie

I agree with Cyranox11, the masks aren’t so bad. In a few years time we will probably think that mesh masks look dumb because we're not used to them anymore. My only complaint is that the lexan seems to distort things a bit. I think it might be from the curve

As far as being camera friendly goes, there are numerous occasions were the eyes can be seen through the Lexan in still shots. There are fewer opportunities during live filming but enough to give the viewer an idea of who the fencer is.

8. glowstix

glowstix DE Bracket

the major problem i have besides safety is that i don't want my opponent seeing my eyes. funny thing with the mesh masks is that during the intensity of the bouts i'm not even bothered by visibility at all..focus on the opponent. :cool2:

9. the doc

the doc Rookie

the only really good reason to not like the mask is if they are unsafe. a number of people use the visor mask in my club and i can say that it makes no difference to me whether i can see their eyes or not.

this is two fold:

one, i am looking at their chest anyway

and two, if they are any good they probably have a fixed view point on my chest and don't give any signals by looking where they are about to hit.

the only thing that gets me is when i can see one particular guy's big cheesy smirk after he has hit me.

i would also be very happy to see wireless fencing, if they can do it with no major changes to the rules.

Alain likes this.
  10. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

No, there are PLENTY of reasons to dislike the things, doc. You must not have been reading the forums. :)

Now let me counter Cyranox's anecdotal evidence: I have looked at and tried a friend's Lexan mask, I believe them to be unsafe, and I still hate them. "Everyone" I've spoken with feels exactly the same way I do!

Voila. Are we all convinced now? ;)

11. Alan

Alan Rookie

Nope

the 2 others are

2) They are ugly

3) Individual freedom to not use them

12. achilleus

achilleus Rookie

You won't convince me with your sweet words! :)

Seriously, I've tried one, and the visibility is great when new. Then they start to fog, get scratched (sabre may not be that bad, but epee fencers will put scratches all over those things...), and well, it kinda sucks. It was actually so bad, that one guy actually built a fan into his mask to help with air circulation. Won't that be cool? We can be really high tech and all have fans in our masks. And add windshield wipers... :rolleyes:

Then there's the whole breathability thing. And it weighs a lot more. And did I mention I'm not convinced it's safe? The medical commission hasn't fully approved them in regards to being safe, so you can say you feel safe and entrust your face to it. I won't.

That said, a couple people (and I mean couple. 2. That's it, I haven't found more) I have spoken with like the masks. But they are in the minority here. I mean way minority. They're the odd guys at the tournaments with the long hair, really out of shape, and they smell funny. :cool2:

There, did I convince anybody?

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The medical comkmission's concern was with CO2 retention rates, which were way high (y'know....becuase of that solid plastic plate in the way of proper ventilation)

A fan mounted inside teh mask for air flow betrays a design flaw in the mask that by itself does not address the medical commission's concerns, thus the need for an outside source of ventilation.

SEMI is concerned that we armorers cannot test the lexan...there's also the fact that there are no specs on torque on the bolts that hold the plate in place....that there HAVE been broken shields and ones falling out DURING fencing...

The arguments for TV coverage are specious at best...the safety concerns from SEMI and medical should've sent these things back to the drawing board....but then there was Roche to just ignore them....thanks, Rene...

14. glowstix

glowstix DE Bracket

i thought they had some spray you could use on the visor that reduced the fogging?? either way, it still scratches pretty bad. i've seen the leon paul model and the owner said they SUCK..and i still don't want my opponent seeing my eyes. :angry:

15. foilz

foilz Rookie

It's probably like a diving mask.

Welders tell me the same thing.

Spit works.

16. HDG

HDG Podium

#3 is not a reason to dislike them, only a reason to dislike their use being mandated.

17. BoutAfrica

BoutAfrica Rookie

Apparently the initiation of the clear masks has been postponed again so we don’t have to rush out and bye new masks just yet.
    What I want to know is, are new designs coming out in the near future? Leon Paul, All-star, PBT. Are there any plans for new models?

18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Probably. And then, those who have the current ones will have to go out and buy the "new" versions.

Joy upon joy.

19. Blitzkid196

Blitzkid196 Rookie

plus! what if you sneeze?!?! eeeeeeeeewwww!!

20. downunder

downunder Podium

i'd imagine the same result as in a regular mask...