Lesson learnt with new blades.

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by ktinoue3, Jun 1, 2018.

1. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

Last week I wired and built myself 6 new blades. After fencing twice and having 4 blades pop a wire I realize what I did wrong. I didn’t run the new blades through an acetone bath so all them oil on the prevented the super glue from sticking.

Doh

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

YYyyyyyep. Proper cleaning is THE most important step.

Keep in mind that acetone doesn't do much to the gunk they coat the blades in, at least not in the groove. Even if you soak a new colored blade in acetone (the color coat taking the place of the coating), you still have to get any acetone residue out of the groove.

http://www.homfencing.com/armory-videos.html

Vid #4...I demonstrate the cleaning in the first 3-4 minutes.

ktinoue3 likes this.
  3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I didn't check Purp's video, but if you have a dremel tool look at getting a diamond wheel. It fits into foil grooves and runs along the epee-V fine. A few run throughs with that (plus a wipe-down with rubbing alcohol) and all the gunk is gone. Just bare metal.

4. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Q-tip.

5. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

I use a dremel in the groove and then soak the blade in acetone

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Not really. It probably won’t get to the bottom of the groove.

7. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Scrape with a hacksaw blade, then use the blade with a paper-towel underneath to get any remains.

posineg likes this.
  8. Mac A. Bee

Really. Loosen a bit of the cotton and squeeze tip's sides, or use jkormann's method.

9. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

I am going to let you guys work on this one.
    You guys have fun
    Q-tips?

nasnem likes this.
  10. Mac A. Bee

Or interdental simulators, i.e. wedge-shaped toothpicks, or a used alcohol-wipe and screwdriver blade.

11. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

Yea I always clean blades I get for rewires I just didn't think about it with new blades. Oh well.

12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Lesson learned....made that mistake myself when I started.

ktinoue3 likes this.
  13. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

OK,
    If you don't have a dremel, use a pocket box cutter or hacksaw blade or something to scratch the heck out of it in the channel
    Poor some acetone in the channel and let it run all the way down
    Take a rag and wipe it all off. OK, if you want to use a Q-Tip, have fun.
    If you want to get really crazy and insure you have a PERFECT bond, here is a CA primer: click here I have only had to use this stuff one time, but will confirm, it does work. Used an eye dropper and let it run like CA. What this stuff does is: seals everything in the channel, and leaves a residue for the CA to adsorb to. Most times, like in 99.99999% of the time, not needed, but if you have that one blade in a 1000 that the blade wire will not stick to, here you go.
    Example: Vniti blades, cosmoline = Vaseline mixed with used motor oil is a turd to get out. Acetone, then mineral spirits, then acetone again, still not out. Wire blade, wire pop, repeat, wire pops again, OK, clean it again and here comes the primer, it seals the channel from anything. Again: I have only had to use this stuff (1) time.

Me: I dremel, acetone bath, wipe clean, Red thread-lock barrel threads, pull wire at barrel, set point, test, pull wire and lock down on tang threads, chock'er, glue, flip upside down and let CA run to center, dry, release from chock'er, assembly, done.

Note: I do have one additional step in blade cleaning, but it's proprietary. Some things you just need to keep to yourself.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    piste off and K O'N like this.
  14. Mac A. Bee

Have you timed bath first then dremel? Test to insure wire wasn't nicked during barrel pull?

twisterfencing likes this.
  15. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Gods I am glad I only have to deal with sabres.

twisterfencing likes this.
  16. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Have you timed bath first then dremel?: Nope, but I have dremeled then put in the acetone bath.
    Let me take that one back. Yes, for those blades that come to us from Russia: I have and do. I have a process to remove the cosmoline first, then I pop them into the acetone bath for just a few, then dremel, then back to the acetone bath, then a wipe down and then the process goes further to wire it.

Answer to test: anytime I wire a blade, foil or epee no matter, before I glue a blade wire down, I set the point, Foil: make sure the screws are in place on the collar, make sure there is a low resistance in rest, make sure there is no constant B connection, make sure the foil spring is seated correctly, Epee: set contact spring, 0.45 no fire, 0.40 fire, weigh spring correct 750 grams, make sure the screws are seating exactly like they are suppose to kind of thing. Then and only then, can you pull a blade wire down and then glue it.
    Rest of the story: after dried, then retest it before assembly. Once assembled, test again to insure no C grounding and for resistance issues plus the 750, Last be not least: after assembly, I have three testing centers, the last one is the Favero Pro tester where I put a scope on it for the finished weapon before it goes out to a customer. Doing it this way: insures a customer gets a perfect weapon. The bad part is when a customer calls you after they get it and tells you about the light going off at the bell guard, darn shipping has shifted the guard and most likely cutting into a wire after all that work. You try!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  17. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Many of the sabre blades we get in, are so dirty that if: they were foils, could never be wired. That kind of dirty!
    Note: for the beginner's, please: I am NOT trying to tell you to wire a sabre blade. OK?
    To get all that gunk off them, and make them shinny again so you guys will buy them, its a process.
    It's just one of those from the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain kind of things.
    If you ever saw how they come in to us, you would say: that is just Nasty!

Privateer likes this.
  18. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Here I am spewing all this out "after" I told you guys/gals I was staying out if it. My bad!

19. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Just as long as they are not rusty. I have seen even blued blades with rust, and sanding or scrubbing it off takes off the bluing as well.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  20. Mac A. Bee

Placing an assembled point into jig doesn't unduly compress spring, resulting in fewer service cycles? Or spring's constant is decreased by service cycles versus extended compression?