Leon Paul - LOOOOONNNNGGG order time issues?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by saharafrog, Mar 28, 2017.

1. saharafrog

saharafrog Rookie

First off, my daughter loves her Leon Paul gear - this is not a question or shot about quality or satisfaction once the gear arrives - but does is normally take a really, really, really long time for Leon Paul to ship stuff?

We've now placed two orders and both times its been over a month before anything ships. Last November, we placed an order though our local fencing club for a completed kit of FIE foil and epee gear. After a month of waiting (and with no communication from Leon Paul) the club pinged them and found out one item was out of stock and keeping the $2000+ of gear from shipping. We happily subbed a different color of the same item and the order finally shipped.

Five weeks ago, I order a complete epee along with some odds and ends (springs, screws, nuts, etc.) and nothing has yet shipped. I ping Leon Paul (again, I had to initiate the conversation) and the epee grip is out of stock.

So, are long lead times, frequently being out-of-stock, and no communication from Leon Paul the norm? I hope not and I hope that I have thus far just been unlucky. My daughter loves her LP gear (as evidenced by the re-order of the epee), but man am I getting frustrated with them...

Best of luck,
    --S.F.

2. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Everything I've ordered from them in the past has shipped in a reasonable time. The lack of communication mirrors my experience though. It's especially noticeable in the age of automated order update emails from almost all online vendors.

3. Mitchell

Mitchell hi Staff Member

They're having some severe supply chain issues right now (since maybe November when the exchange rate got real favorable for USD). Their site used to have a banner note that said things were backed up a week or two minimum. I think they've pushed through and are mostly caught up, but yeah, expect delays.

4. saharafrog

saharafrog Rookie

Hopefully it is a short-term issue and not the norm. I guess we're just unlucky in our timing. Still, after 2 or even 4 weeks, maybe they could shoot an email saying "We haven't forgotten about you - things are back ordered. Please be patient..."

5. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

Hi All,

We have recently implemented a new business management system and as is usually the case things take time to bed in. Long term this will provide lots of benefits to you all as customers and some of those benefits can already be seen.

We now have live stock on the websites eg :
    https://www.leonpaul.com/lightweight-fie-plastron-1.html if you select right handed medium it shows as in stock left handed medium shows as "backorder".

Our customer service and shipping times at the moment or are not good enough and we are working hard to sort this out. Particularly problematic was the implementation of the custom weapons. As per the OP's order for a custom epee.

Sending the details of a weapon through to a PDA to allow it to be picked and packed correctly has been very challenging. Not many companies offer a single "product" with 10,000 or more variations. We have sorted out most of the issues now and are clearing the backlog.

Going forwards the new system will allow us to radically improve our service. We will have much better control of stock and we are targeting an average dispatch time of one working day by the start of next season.

Sorry for any delays you have experienced as customers we will have better than ever before service very soon.

Alex Paul

DangerMouse likes this.
  6. saharafrog

saharafrog Rookie

@Alex_Paul ,
    Glad to hear that things will be getting much better. That gives me more confidence in placing an order before college starts later this summer.

One thing I would suggest, and something you should be able to implement now, is to communicate better when there are long delays. My frustration would be much less if LP proactively communicated about the delay instead of me hearing nothing for weeks and then only hearing about the back order when I initiate the dialogue. If I know (roughly) how long until the item will be back ordered, I can pass that along to my daughter instead of (every afternoon) answering "Not yet" and "I don't know" to her questions of "Has it shipped yet?" and "Do you think my new epee be here before my next tournament?"
    Have a good day,
    --S.F.

7. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

I totally agree. We have been all flat out trying to fix the systemic issues and get orders shipping properly again. We should have made time to contact people and I have now rectified that.

We will be contacting all customers who have a delayed order to explain the delay and hope we will have the backlog shifted by the middle of next week.

Alex

Craig and acarter like this.
  8. saharafrog

saharafrog Rookie

@Alex_Paul
    Alex,
    I'm trying not to get frustrated, but this is getting to be quite trying. It has now been 9 days since you posted that live stock is available, and that things should get better soon. Excluding the automated out of office response I just received saying Bill will be out of the office until next Thursday, it has now been 18 days since anyone at Leon Paul has communicated with me (outside of this forum). All of the items I ordered on February 21 are showing as in stock when I go to the LeonPaulUSA website. Is there anything you can do to get me an estimated shipping date? Please?
    Thank you,
    --S.F.

9. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

Can you pm me your order number?

Alex

10. saharafrog

saharafrog Rookie

Alex,
    Will do. One quick question though. How does one PM on this board? I've clicked just about everything that looks clickable and am not seeing an option to do a private message. I tried to start a conversation with only you in the list, but the board denied that option for me.
    Sorry for being a bit of a luddite.

11. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

I may have PM's turned off there is nothing sensitive in the number so you can just post it here.

Alex

12. saharafrog

saharafrog Rookie

Order # 300005909
    Looking at the Leon Paul USA site, the slimline pure carbon epee is now showing as back ordered. If you could just get me an estimated date of when this order might ship, I could then stop fretting until that date gets closer. I'd rather know it won't arrive for another month than to hope each Monday this will be the week it ships.
    Thanks for all your assistance.

13. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

Hi,
    I will get someone to drop you an e mail shortly. Our new warehousing system shows that the order was shipped on the 4th of this month but has no tracking number logged. I am trying to ascertain f it was shipped with proper paperwork in which case you should have had it, if it was not shipped at all or if it was shipped with in correct paperwork and is now in limbo with the courier.

If we don't have anything definitive by the end of the day we will re ship the order. My apologies for the poor service. I assure you I will get it rectified ASAP.

Alex

14. saharafrog

saharafrog Rookie

Alex,
    Thank you for looking into this. A few minutes ago I received an email saying Leon Paul has initiated a shipment for my order. We'll eagerly await my daughter's new epee. Thank you again for your help in sorting this out, and I apologize if I was a bit of a pain.

15. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

As a software program manager, it's time for a "Come to Jesus" meeting with your vendor who is negatively impacting your brand. Simultaneously, you should confer with your solicitor and re-bid your requirements. I'm rooting for your success.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  16. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

Indeed. we still owe them $75k...

Sorry that this was so delayed you have been incredibly patient. I am not sure I would have been as restrained in your shoes.

17. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Not any more. ;)

18. saharafrog

saharafrog Rookie

The slimline epee has arrived, and it is beautiful.

To be honest, when I hefted the unopened box, my first thought was "Those SOBs shipped me an empty box!" After shaking the box, I realized there was something in it, but a little part of me still insisted the box was way too light to contain a complete epee.

Thanks for all of your help @Alex_Paul