Leon Paul extra-reach pistol grip

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Jamesp11111, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Jamesp11111

Jamesp11111 Rookie

I had a look at one of these (http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Extra-Reach-Epee-Handle.html) this week and although the reach gain is small it still seemed to me it would be advantageous over a standard pistol grip.

Despite searching though I can't find any opinions about them.

Has anyone tried this grip?

2. piste off

piste off Podium

Your assumption is incorrect. The small reach advantage is not worth the loss in strength/control.

I have tried that grip, but the reason I used it was not for the added length. More trying to find a grip that fit well.

Prior to that, I experimented with a grip that had a MUCH longer front (still legal for me, due to the size of my hand and finger length). The learning was clear. It was much less effective than a conventional length pistol grip.

3. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

But Leon Paul says it will give an advantage. Doesn't everyone believe in advertising.

And even if it is too long for some, they will never get caught. Just ask the NAC Head Armorers. They don't even think the referees could check for a tear in a glove!

4. Tomas N

Tomas N Podium

After years of customizing my grips, I've been using the extra length LP's since they've come out. But I saw off about 1/8 inch, as it feels better in my hand a bit shorter. I like the overall shape of the grip, just not the extra length. It is a different grip than the standard visconti.

5. iktovian

iktovian Made the Cut

I used them for about 8 months and I quite liked the fit and feel I got with them. I found it much easier to make precise actions at distance with this grip. I've gone back to the standard pistol because I'm trying to develop stronger actions on the blade.

As others have said the extra length isn't significant and won't be enough to make up for the loss of leverage. They also require a special crosse nut which you'll have to carry spares of- if you lose one, no-one else will have a spare. The part you grip between your thumb and forefinger is wider and flatter than it is on most other grips, and there's more space for your fingers to move- like a french grip. If you cut them down you lose that.

6. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

Within French grip or pistol grip: Try to improve your technique rather than, or before, messing around with the grip itself.
    I own experimental weapons that I don't understand how I could ever have hit anything with them. I played around with many grips, including some that were too long (in front of the thumb) and some that were too fat. It has to be true that, for each fencer, there's an optimum length of the grip in front of the extended thumnb. For Fencer A, it's 0 cm. For Fencer B, it's longer. Yes, there is a tradeoff between reach and leverage, but you have to find what works for you.
    Similarly, fatter or skinnier grips, larger or smaller depressions for the thumb, and more or less forgiving positions for the other fingers (crucial for choosing a pistol grip -- all matter.

7. MHC

MHC Made the Cut

piste off, I'm curious as to what other grips you tried and what you settled on because it seems like we have similar issues. I have a medium-sized palm, but large-length fingers. So large grips are too big and most mediums I've tried don't fit my fingers well.

As far as the OPs question goes, I've tried the extra reach, but for the same reason as piste off. So the loss of control from the length is somewhat offset by the better fit for my hand. I still think it's too long though. If you get one, follow LP's instructions and put a small bend in the middle of the tang. It won't work otherwise and if you try to force it, you'll probably break the tang.

NKFA likes this.
  8. Philix

Philix Rookie

How can I tell where to cut the tang of my blade for this grip? Since, this grip requires a special nut...

9. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut