Leon Paul Etoile blade lasted 14 calendar days in hands of a beginner fencer - Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Parent's Corner' started by AndI, Nov 21, 2018.

1. AndI

AndI Rookie

Leon Paul states on their web site about non-FIE Etoile foil blade: "Designed and made to be long lasting, safe and good value for money." and recommends it to junior fencers.

My son is a 12-year old beginner fencer. He started fencing with this blade on November 6. Today is November 20, and his blade broke. It lasted 14 calendar days, i.e., maybe 6-7 classes and private lessons in total.

I understand that non-FIE blades are less durable and may not last longer than 3 to 6 months, but doesn't 6-8 hours of use by a beginner fencer sound too short? Can I safely assume that it is not normal?

Would it make sense to contact Leon Paul? Not sure if blades are covered by a warranty.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

Blade life is pretty random. Non-FIE blades aren't particularly durable. Beginning fencers do weird things with their blades.

So, sure, you would expect a blade to last longer than that , and in that sense it isn't normal, but you are probably just at the wrong end of the bell curve with this particular foil.

3. AndI

AndI Rookie

I contacted Leon Paul and they were very quick with the reply and very helpful. They promised to send a replacement. Great customer service on their end, and they clearly do stand behind their products.

fencer-dad-of-fencer, thank you very much, this is what I suspected, appreciate your feedback!

ktinoue3 likes this.