Leon Paul Etoile blade lasted 14 calendar days in hands of a beginner fencer - Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Parent's Corner' started by AndI, Nov 21, 2018.

1. AndI

AndI Made the Cut

Leon Paul states on their web site about non-FIE Etoile foil blade: "Designed and made to be long lasting, safe and good value for money." and recommends it to junior fencers.

My son is a 12-year old beginner fencer. He started fencing with this blade on November 6. Today is November 20, and his blade broke. It lasted 14 calendar days, i.e., maybe 6-7 classes and private lessons in total.

I understand that non-FIE blades are less durable and may not last longer than 3 to 6 months, but doesn't 6-8 hours of use by a beginner fencer sound too short? Can I safely assume that it is not normal?

Would it make sense to contact Leon Paul? Not sure if blades are covered by a warranty.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

Blade life is pretty random. Non-FIE blades aren't particularly durable. Beginning fencers do weird things with their blades.

So, sure, you would expect a blade to last longer than that , and in that sense it isn't normal, but you are probably just at the wrong end of the bell curve with this particular foil.

3. AndI

AndI Made the Cut

I contacted Leon Paul and they were very quick with the reply and very helpful. They promised to send a replacement. Great customer service on their end, and they clearly do stand behind their products.

fencer-dad-of-fencer, thank you very much, this is what I suspected, appreciate your feedback!

ktinoue3 likes this.
  4. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Just a comment, in general while FIE blades are more expensive and therefore one might think more durable. The FIE stamp of approval has more to do with their meeting FIE metal standards which are "believed" to be safer, i.e. less likely to break in such a fashion as to injure an opponent. Personally I think that they are more carefully made. But I don't recall any guarantees of longer life span. And a 12 year old can break almost anything.

Privateer likes this.