Leon Paul Epee

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Nov 19, 2018.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

I'm an afficionado of LP's folded metal epee blades. But I'm wondering about the current state of their offerings. The SR71's were a definite improvement in some ways except for the heat treatment problem which lead to their splitting down the middle and their being withdrawn. Then there were the "Fusion" blades which I have one of. But is the Fusion model still offered? I don't see it on their website by that name. And then when I look at the website for FIE epee blades, skipping their offerings of BF blades which apparently everyone carries, I find what appear to be two different models of FIE folded metal epee blades (based on images). There is the standard FIE blade offered unwired (https://www.leonpaulusa.com/lp-fie-epee-blade-unwired.html). It appears (from the images) to be what I have purchased before. Price USD $130. And then there is another blade offered with tip installed at USD $150 but the image shows what appears to be a very different pattern. https://www.leonpaulusa.com/lp-fie-epee-blade.html

Has anyone had an opportunity to handle these blades recently? Would appreciate comments on the differences. Most of the verbiage seems to be about the tip itself being of a German design and less likely for the thread to migrate around.
    thanks J.

2. K O'N

K O'N Podium

3. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

The blade I bought as being a Fusion blade doesn't have the extra fold. But looks very similar to what is being advertised as a simple FIE folded metal blade. Strange but my browser took me to different views and prices. The Fusion blade displayed seems to have an extra set of bends in the photo. I'll go by and look in Cincinnati. Anyone tried the newer Fusion?

NKFA likes this.
  4. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

Yes, I have several fusion blades, and like them. So, naturally, I got few fusion pro FIEs to test as well. Finish is different, darker, almost bronze looking. The blade itself is a bit stiffer than regular LP V blades, definitively lighter than regular LPs and very similar feel to the original LP Fusion blade (non-fie version). Probably the lightest FIE blade by far on the market today. Haven't seen the new Italian $200+ blades yet to compare.
    I feel that when coupled with LP Ti barrel and tip, the tip lag is not as obvious as with other LP V profiles. I just wish they were a bit more stiff. LP claims they are at the top of the allowed stiffness. To me, BF white Ds seem stiffer.
    I only use the fusion Pro at this point :)

5. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Wait, what? You're saying the Fusion is lighter than the standard LP? I don't think that's right.

NKFA likes this.
  6. dcchew

dcchew Podium

At $160 per blade plus shipping, the LP FIE Fusion is a tad bit rich for my taste. I’d rather wire up a BF with a used LP titanium barrel for quite a bit cheaper.

7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

OTOH, the non-FIE Fusion is $99 wired, which has to be one of the best deals available for decent epee blades, and the difference between the FIE and non-FIE versions, other than the finish and an FIE stamp, is... not obvious, let's say.

NKFA likes this.
  8. just_some_guy

just_some_guy Made the Cut

I concur with KO'N that the Fusion non-FIE is an excellent blade (and value) if you like LP blades. I used to fence almost exclusively with SR-71s and have been fencing with Fusion non-FIE blades since LP released them. I like them a lot - they are slightly less stiff than the SR-71 (I think) but only slightly and I've found them to be very durable.

NKFA likes this.
  9. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

It feels lighter to me, perhaps its' the balance point? Dont have the actual weights or anything like that.

10. pinbot

pinbot Made the Cut

If you're referring to the Franchinis, I've been trying one of those for a while now. It's very like a BF, meaning not at all like an LP. Of course I'm hoping for BF performance with a longer lifespan to offset the higher cost. Too early to tell on that score. It did take a squirrelly upbend around the foible on a hit that I don't think would have thus affected a BF, but on the other hand it doesn't seem to be holding onto that bend as a bad habit in the way a BF would once it happened.

NKFA likes this.
  11. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I only have a couple of brand new blades in stock so I couldn't do an average, I just weighed one of each:

LP non-FIE french grip tang, wired, brand new: 167.4g.

Fusion non-FIE french grip tang, wired, brand new: 181.8g.

The Fusion feels a lot heftier to me. The standard LP is like a feather, it's a very light blade.

NKFA likes this.